What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you prefer ebooks or paper/hardback and why?

Ebook or paper/Hardback

• Total voters

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me e-books for convenience to be loaded on my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's no option for both. I've got about 1000 volumes in my place, so it's safe to say I like books, but my living space isn't unlimited and not every book I read deserves shelf-space for a lifetime. E-books let me read pop stuff - especially in this day of multi-books series - without adding bookshelves. If it turns out I like an author a lot, I'll usually hunt down a first edition for my permanent collection and squeeze it in.

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ebooks. I love paper ut you need so many accessories if you want to read at night. Like a light! iPad has that built in. Also love the fact that you can make the text larger so in my case I don't have to wear glasses!

iKarnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.adapt.com.au
The book shelf has my fav books, there are 76 of them, and they together weigh around 40-50kg! In my iPad I have around 3000 books. And they all weigh the same as the iPad does in total. If I want a book off the shelf I have to look really hard at the authors and titles, on the iPad I just search. Books fall apart especially those favorite books, my hobbit has got to be 1/4 study tape!
I never lose my "spot", no dog ears, no need for a light, no cramps or RSI from holding a novel, no tired arms, and if I want I can play ambient music while I read.
So hands down ebooks are awesome.
I feel bad for the books shops loosing so much business, but the authors won't!

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iKarnt said:
I feel bad for the books shops loosing so much business, but the authors won't!

If book stores were smart they would turn themselves into ebook venues. Where you could obviously buy ebooks, but they have wifi and comfy couches. Where they sell food and drinks. Kind of like a coffee shop but with more ambience and the wifi tech to handle larger groups of people. That way they could still promote authors and books etc

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eBooks! Some people say that the screen on the iPad causes eye strain after extended periods, but I find just the opposite to be true. I am actually reading more now than I ever did before.

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly we have had two major book store chains go bust here is Australia this month. This is due to ebooks being used so widely here, and also for those that like paper, the Internet provides access to cheaper books overseas (even with postage). What's left of the Aussie book stores will have to adapt or die!

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eBooks! Some people say that the screen on the iPad causes eye strain after extended periods, but I find just the opposite to be true. I am actually reading more now than I ever did before.

x2 Since the e-book introduction I've now got back into reading more. I take my iPad everywhere I go and try and read whenever I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
8nobody8 said:
Sadly we have had two major book store chains go bust here is Australia this month. This is due to ebooks being used so widely here, and also for those that like paper, the Internet provides access to cheaper books overseas (even with postage). What's left of the Aussie book stores will have to adapt or die!

Really?

I find most ebooks being more expensive then then the corresponding paperback.

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Really?

I find most ebooks being more expensive then then the corresponding paperback.

I think books are so overpriced in Australia. I originally hail from England and have found that books are very cheap over there. iBooks is not necessarily the best price. But through kindle I found that the books are cheaper. And I get the book there and then, I didn't have to brave a shopping mall to buy it!

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ebooks, here. Better for the environment (less tree killing and no freight), I can store/carry an entire library on my iPhone & iPad (great for those in small apartments or condos), no book light needed, convenience (if I really want a book I can download it instantly instead of having to run to the store or library), and cheaper to buy. Like others, I'm reading much more since i got an iPad.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Borders and Angus & Robertson went bankrupt because their books were overpriced and their selection of titles went from diverse to lowbrow, and I know I'm not alone in saying this. I don't see that ebooks would have affected their overall sales because the volume of ebook sales is still in its growth phase in the Australian market, and nowhere near the straight losses they've incurred.

Most reactions