What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like typing on the ipads on screen keyboard?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hate the virtual keyboard. Let me count the ways. No "feel." Almost impossible to use if you're a touch typist without the skill of a concert pianist. The split screen keyboard in iOS5 will help the thumbers but since I'm not in that group it won't make much difference to me. With the rare exception of entering a url or a very short message, I avoid the virtual keyboard at all costs.

I use the Apple Wireless Keyboard with the Origami Workstation and find it quite acceptable, even on a plane in a middle seat. Better than the netbook that the iPad has replaced, in fact. I'm surprised that Tim notes that the combination iPad and keyboard is too large for flights. Perhaps the planes and seats are smaller in Scotland.

As far as other virtual keyboard alternatives, I've used Swype extensively on my android phone and it's very good there, if not in terms of real speed, at least in terms of a short learning curve. I have doubts, though, that it will be as appealing on a tablet sized device where the "swypes" are more like conducting an orchestra.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Hate the virtual keyboard. Let me count the ways. No "feel." Almost impossible to use if you're a touch typist without the skill of a concert pianist. The split screen keyboard in iOS5 will help the thumbers but since I'm not in that group it won't make much difference to me. With the rare exception of entering a url or a very short message, I avoid the virtual keyboard at all costs.

I use the Apple Wireless Keyboard with the Origami Workstation and find it quite acceptable, even on a plane in a middle seat. Better than the netbook that the iPad has replaced, in fact. I'm surprised that Tim notes that the combination iPad and keyboard is too large for flights. Perhaps the planes and seats are smaller in Scotland.

As far as other virtual keyboard alternatives, I've used Swype extensively on my android phone and it's very good there, if not in terms of real speed, at least in terms of a short learning curve. I have doubts, though, that it will be as appealing on a tablet sized device where the "swypes" are more like conducting an orchestra.

Yeah, with Swype on an iPad you would use it in portrait mode, not landscape.

snowzone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My cruising speed on a regular keyboard can get to 175 wpm. I can do about 60 or so on the ipad keyboard.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like it It's ok for light typing . I do the heavy duty stuff on my desk top . I think when the new ios5 comes out it will have speak to Tex . And new split key board for using your thumbs will will have to see how that stuff works out

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My cruising speed on a regular keyboard can get to 175 wpm. I can do about 60 or so on the ipad keyboard.

BOY - you even beat me out on a regular typewriter back in the 1960s when I was the 'champion' in my High School typing class - impressive! :)

BUT, if I had to type an extended email or a document, a standard keyboard would be needed for me - of course, I own the BT Apple keyboard which works well for my extend purchases - ;)

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
PatriciaF said:
A 120 wpm? You are superwoman!!:)

Lol!! It is how I got my jobs in the early days! IBM hired me because of my typing skills back in the early 80s!

Whoa! Snowzone, 175?! Might have to have a little contest!! LOL

Last edited:

chokem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After almost a year with the i4, typing on this is a breeze. I'm almost as fast on it as I am with my laptop.

bikermolly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The old manual typewriters were something altogether different. The old underwoods, remington , Hermes etc. Happy days indeed.

OP
Shayla

Shayla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still getting use to the ipad keyboard, i've had my ipad 2 for 2 weeks now. I can tell you one thing i make loads of mistakes if i try and type with all my fingers. Also when on potrait i accidently press "return" or "p" instead of backspace. A thing i like about it is that if you press the space bottom twice it adds a fullstop to the word you typed and starts a new sentence :)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am at least 10 times faster on the iPad keyboard then anything else. I guess because that's all I have really used for over a year.

scout101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I certainly can't type as fast as on a regular keyboard, but like having everything contained in one small portable package. I agree with the comment about it needing the cursor keys.

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
would be nicer though, if the keyboard can be configured to how my short fingers interact with the keys. i have no issues with the middle keys, but the backspace, p, enter, shift, a, and q keys are challenging. they're too far away! hahaha!

i type using all my ten fingers, and it's pretty hard to devolve to the two or four-finger typing method,-.

btw, it becomes less cumbersome with the 5-row keyboard.

+1 on the cursor keys... there are other apps that offer it - like iawriter and fastkeyboard - but it would be nice to make it system-wide... plus control keys for faster movement...

i also would like to have access to he numeric keypad, i use numbers a lot.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts