What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you have an iPad 2 car charger?

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice regarding a car charger for the iPad 2. When looking on the Apple Store iPad Accessories page, NONE of the listed chargers are any better than 3 stars!

Can anyone tell me of their personal experience with iPad 2 car chargers? I need one for an upcoming European trip but want to buy one that is reliable.

Thanks in advance,

Duckfeet:ipad-back:

Avionyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Car chargers are stupidly priced for what they are.

What I use is a simpler, and tidier method.

I bought a car cigar lighter adaptor that turns it into a USB port. Now anything that you have a USB charger for just use the lead and plug it in!

Charges my i-gadgets in exactly the same time as a car charger does BUT because the cables are generally smaller and far less hassle its so much tidier, plus you only make one outlay for all your gadgets.

Here's a link to the one I use in my cars and trucks, I appreciate its a UK site but I'm sure similar things are available where you are:

Micro DC to USB Adaptor : InCar Power Adaptors : Maplin

Alex

OP
D

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Avionyx said:
Car chargers are stupidly priced for what they are.

What I use is a simpler, and tidier method.

I bought a car cigar lighter adaptor that turns it into a USB port. Now anything that you have a USB charger for just use the lead and plug it in!

Charges my i-gadgets in exactly the same time as a car charger does BUT because the cables are generally smaller and far less hassle its so much tidier, plus you only make one outlay for all your gadgets.

Here's a link to the one I use in my cars and trucks, I appreciate its a UK site but I'm sure similar things are available where you are:

Micro DC to USB Adaptor : InCar Power Adaptors : Maplin

Alex

Thanks for your reply and the link, but this would result in a 1 amp charge as opposed to a 2.1 amp charge. In other words it would take more than twice the time to get an equivalent charge. Doable, but not optimal.

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't seen any 3rd party charges for the ipad2 yet. I plan to use my Apple charger with a ac/dc converter.

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and has regular outlets. It was under $20 at Walmart.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Griffin PowerBlock combo (one wall wart and one car charger) for iPad 1 about a year ago and it's working fine (also works with iPad 2). I ordered it from Griffin and they shipped it to my door for free and without tax. I think I've since seen it elsewhere for less, but it's been a long time since I bought it, so maybe Griffin has lowered its price.

I went with Griffin because some tech publication (maybe Wired? I can't remember) tested it against other chargers, including Apple's, and Griffin's charged the fastest. I verified that result after I got my Griffin, was happy with it, so bought a second PowerBlock wall wart. The only drawback to the combo (wall wart and car charger) is that they include only one USB cord to use between the two.

You can use generic car chargers, but they deliver less juice, so your iPad will charge slower. The iPad needs 10 w for maximum charge. An iPod/iPhone charger typically delivers 5 w. (The PowerBlock also can charge iPods and iPhones without overcharging them. I like that I can carry one charger for more than one item.)

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a car adapter got at fivebelow, though that only works if you have one close by, paid $5 for it and works great with both ipad1 and ipad2.
Look at their site and see if there is a store close to you.
Five Below > About Us > Store Locator

Avionyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Duckfeet said:
Thanks for your reply and the link, but this would result in a 1 amp charge as opposed to a 2.1 amp charge. In other words it would take more than twice the time to get an equivalent charge. Doable, but not optimal.

I really haven't noticed that, although there must be a difference, I use it on my drive to work and it charges my iPhone from about 15 percent to 60 percent in 30ish minutes which might not be a full charge but it certainly is usable.
Similarly it still charges my iPhone while I'm using it on full bright display as satnav, which is pretty good going.

As you say it's not optimal but it is a good, simple, tidy and usable solution for those that don't want too many chargers and big leads about.

Alex

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Avionyx said:
I really haven't noticed that, although there must be a difference, I use it on my drive to work and it charges my iPhone from about 15 percent to 60 percent in 30ish minutes which might not be a full charge but it certainly is usable.
Similarly it still charges my iPhone while I'm using it on full bright display as satnav, which is pretty good going.

As you say it's not optimal but it is a good, simple, tidy and usable solution for those that don't want too many chargers and big leads about.

Alex

We're talking about charging an iPad, not a iPhone. The iPad charger is a 2amp charger, the iPhone only requires 1amp.

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using the kenninston micro charge (plugs into cig lighter and has two USB ports on it). With both the iPad and the droid OG with no issues. Can't remember the exact amp rate but it doesn't seem any slower recharging it then at home off the AC

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using the kenninston micro charge (plugs into cig lighter and has two USB ports on it). With both the iPad and the droid OG with no issues. Can't remember the exact amp rate but it doesn't seem any slower recharging it then at home off the AC

If it's a double charger, it's probably giving you 5w on each side. I have one of those, too.

Most reactions

Latest posts