What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you believe , we are living an historical moment with the iPad ??

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe the venue of the iPad in the computer market will change many thing in the coming future, especially due to the success of the iPhone and the quantity of usage he will allow us (due to the 200K app's in iTunes)

reading lot of article of iPad i think it will be engraved as the new era in home and personal computing , what is your opinion ?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, I think future versions will become the apple consumer OS, and osx will be the pro OS.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A stage in technology, yes. historically significant, not as much. The iPhone will be more significant due to how it changed more than one industry. Before, computers needed land lines for internet, but the iPhone broke that tether. The iPad removes that tether to a land line further. Eventually, I predict that almost no one will have land line phones or internet service. What may be the next step, will be elimination of devices that need a screen or speaker. Something the size of an iPhone, but where audio and video is projected like a heads-up display or directly to the eyes and ears. Imagine seeing a 40"+ screen image or even 360 degree viewing without a screen. And when there is a need for public viewing, wall mount screens that the computer can link to throughout houses and public areas.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A stage in technology, yes. historically significant, not as much. The iPhone will be more significant due to how it changed more than one industry. Before, computers needed land lines for internet, but the iPhone broke that tether. The iPad removes that tether to a land line further. Eventually, I predict that almost no one will have land line phones or internet service. What may be the next step, will be elimination of devices that need a screen or speaker. Something the size of an iPhone, but where audio and video is projected like a heads-up display or directly to the eyes and ears. Imagine seeing a 40"+ screen image or even 360 degree viewing without a screen. And when there is a need for public viewing, wall mount screens that the computer can link to throughout houses and public areas.

Wireless internet was around years before iPhone.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wireless internet was around for a long time, but it was not until the advent of 3G that it became practical for cell phones. It will take 4G and a much better backbone system to make the use of cell phone wireless effective. Technology is building on the foundations previous generations. Until all the pieces come together in a viable form, it is not worth anything.

Twenty years ago, internet was a novelty. The only real speed came at university backbone systems. Home systems usually prevented regular phone usage and took forever to download. Cell phones were around since the 1950s, but until they came out with digital carrier signals, there could be no usage for internet service. It is not what the iPhone invented, but the experience that it created. I think the iPad is a great product, but it is a merging of the iPhone and iPod Touch with a more practical screen for the majority of the public. What will be interesting is how they introduce the improvements that are coming. We know that they will eventually add a camera, faster processors, added memry options, and there will be amazing accessories that stagger the imagination.

OP
I

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad will engrave the computing history

Wireless internet was around for a long time, but it was not until the advent of 3G that it became practical for cell phones. It will take 4G and a much better backbone system to make the use of cell phone wireless effective. Technology is building on the foundations previous generations. Until all the pieces come together in a viable form, it is not worth anything.

Twenty years ago, internet was a novelty. The only real speed came at university backbone systems. Home systems usually prevented regular phone usage and took forever to download. Cell phones were around since the 1950s, but until they came out with digital carrier signals, there could be no usage for internet service. It is not what the iPhone invented, but the experience that it created. I think the iPad is a great product, but it is a merging of the iPhone and iPod Touch with a more practical screen for the majority of the public. What will be interesting is how they introduce the improvements that are coming. We know that they will eventually add a camera, faster processors, added memry options, and there will be amazing accessories that stagger the imagination.

you are right , and i be lucky to experience the World Wide Web in the CERN in geneva at moment they use Apple LC II for let the visitor see what is that ... i remember how amazing is it to visit the Bilbao museum and go directly to the New-York art museum

yet the iPhone took 50% of the mobile web consultation .... how much the iPad will took

briloop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I see historical with the iPad is Apple potentially taking a significant market share away from Microsoft. It would depend on at least two "ifs":

1. If the iPad becomes the dominant tablet computer.
  2. If the tablet computer becomes the preferred device (instead of a laptop or a desktop computer).

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You know the G has nothing to do with speed right? It stands for Generation....3G is the 3rd generation network or device. Verizon, ATT and Sprint have COMPLETELY different networks. So Sprint's 4G network is not better in any way than Verizon or ATT's 3G network and ATT and VZW's 4th Gen will be pretty damn awesome (tho VZW will maintain it and it will be the superior version.)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G may stand for third generation, but it is also a standard. It has two distinct features over 2G. It allow simultaneous voice and data communication, and it provides faster data transfer capabilities. It also provide enhanced security over 2G systems.

The bandwidth and location information available to 3G devices gives rise to applications not previously available to mobile phone users. Some of the applications are:
  • Mobile TV - a provider redirects a TV channel directly to the subscriber's phone where it can be watched.
  • Video on demand - a provider sends a movie to the subscriber's phone.
  • Video conferencing - subscribers can see as well as talk to each other.
  • Tele-medicine - a medical provider monitors or provides advice to the potentially isolated subscriber.
  • Location-based services - a provider sends localized weather or traffic conditions to the phone, or the phone allows the subscriber to find nearby businesses or friends.

goduke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4G is on the very near Horizon. The bandwidth between 3G and 4G will be bigger than 2G to 3G. QCOM and IDCC have already submitted 100's of pattens.

JMO, Duke

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree completely but not just with the iPad. I think with the new mobile operating systems (Android, iPhone OS, Windows 7 Mobile, and even the Palm OS). We now have something that will make Tablets work with ease and user friendly.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We'll have to see - mobile phones are still mobile phones - and once you hit 40 or 45 your eyesight starts to dwindle a bit - and then the tiny screens on cell phones aren't that attractive.

Tablets are still PC's in todays environment - start up times, hard drive spinning, too much heat, short battery life - ya da ya da ya da! That's what makes them so unattractive.

If you can have a 1/2 inch device that is instant on, instant app launch, with a brilliant picture and 6 hours of battery life - always connected to the internet -- AND -- if you can create a user experience that allows them to do the basics re e-mail, word processing, spread sheets and presentations - you're going to revolutionize personal and small business computing.

I know this might be stretching - but if the iPad does what I think it's going to do - this could be big.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw the first commercial that Apple made for the launch of the first Mac, this weekend. It's this commercial theme situated in the Orwell Big Brother story, "1984".

After seeing it, mind reeling, I felt that Apple's success with media control ironically could place it in Big Brother's shoes...:p

Apple deserves its success for not folding to the norms...

Most reactions

Latest posts