What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we even need desktops anymore?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I just bought an FTP client from the App Store to manage my servers. This is day 6 on my iPad mini and I'm still highly impressed. After installing a bunch of apps, and buying the Apple wireless keyboard, I'm beginning to wonder why I even feel the need for a desktop computer anymore.

The only thing I think I need a desktop for is Photoshop, I don't think it can be installed on an iPad.

Opinions?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use two PCs and two monitors at work, and I don't see that changing. Even if tablets got super powerful, I would still want the ergonomics of a full-size keyboard, monitors at eye level and a desk setup. Depends on what you do, of course.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Man, I love all my toys...and that includes my desktops. It really depends on the person, though. Lots of people can get along just fine without a desktop, but I'm not one of them. Nothing like a full-sized KB, a huge montior, and lots and lots of zots to make it all go! My other toys just let me do more...but i admit, things are getting a bit ridiculous around here. :)

wingzfan61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, desktop yes laptop no. I run 2 servers in my home and control them from my iPad so I never really sit in front of them but I must have them. As for my laptop, I gave it to my ex when I got the iPad. Havent regretted it one bit.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man, I love all my toys...and that includes my desktops. It really depends on the person, though. Lots of people can get along just fine without a desktop, but I'm not one of them. Nothing like a full-sized KB, a huge montior, and lots and lots of zots to make it all go! My other toys just let me do more...but i admit, things are getting a bit ridiculous around here. :)

Lol. I've never owned a full-size PC for fun. Only laptops, notebooks and netbooks.

My husband has a roomful of PCs and laptops. He just finished building a new PC. I call it the Diva, because it's so big that it wouldn't fit among his other PCs and he had to go buy a new shelf for it, lol.

I got him an iPad and he barely used it, so we gave it away.

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I agree, if you have a server or need a desktop for work, then a desktop is a must.

c ellmate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a Wintel slave I can say that Tablets won't replace my work on the Desk/Lap top anytime soon. I have a lot of programs that won't work and no plans are being made to work on the the 4th gen iPad i just ordered today or the Kindle Fire I am about ready to root.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still need a desktop as a hub for music and photos; also to upload docs, etc. I love my iPad but it does have it's limits lol. I love it for it's portability, larger than the iPhone / BlackBerry (back in the day) which I also used to live on before iPads, yet smaller and more portable than a laptop.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with the progress of ipad 1 to 4 in 2 years compared with the progress of desktop computing within same years i think it would take a long generation of ipads to answer of your question to become 'no' :D

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mrcupu said:
with the progress of ipad 1 to 4 in 2 years compared with the progress of desktop computing within same years i think it would take a long generation of ipads to answer of your question to become 'no' :D

Agreed!!

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Desktop because it's cheaper then a laptop, and simply because I like the mouse and keyboard.

Sent from K48AP, the classic

Most reactions

Latest posts