What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do People Understand the point of the iPad?

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Erm,what is the point?

I think the point is some users are trying to turn their iPads into 'computers' by adding lots of external stuff like keyboards, external drives, and other stuff, rather than just be happy with the iPad. Some setups look like netbooks or small laptops so why not just carry one of those devices. I think that is the point.

And I posted it because I am killing time until my pork roast is ready.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh ok I can make apple sauce for the pork.............I agree my iPad has replaced 95% of what I do on my MacBook and once I can sync to iCloud I will hardly need to use the MacBook there are exceptions one is etax in Australia runs on windows only and I have that on the Mac. My music collection which needs to be massaged sometimes and photos but other than that I do every thing on the iPad. I definitely have no desire for any add on external devices?

Oh an I like my crackle crisp and aalso enjoy a Fosters with my Pork.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Let's turn this on it's head and ask ourselves, why not turn the iPad into a laptop.....that way when you need a tablet you remove the keyboard, when you want a laptop you put it back with the keyboard and use the external memory so as to save the internal memory for all those excellent apps!!
Best of both worlds and half the price of owning both!!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see more and more posts from folks wanting the iPad to do...well...more and more. Initially people were blown out of the water by the "magic" and "awesome" iPad. Now it's almost common place and people want it do to more than it was designed to do. That's not a bad thing, it will drive more innovation by Apple and others. However in our microwave, must have it now world impatience is rearing its ugly head IMHO.

Considering only a couple of years ago the iPad didn't even exist, it's quite amazing how far it's come in many of people's day-to-day experiences.

I suspect with the rate of technological advancement we're enjoying (especially when it comes to Apple) the original iPad will seem quaint a couple of years from now when the iPad 6 (or whatever) is released. My WAG is that it will have replaced some devices and will have opened new horizons that we haven't even thought of right now. That's why the folks in Cupertino get paid the big bucks. :)

Here's what I think of when I consider how fast things evolve...

2j2do3n.jpg

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh ok I can make apple sauce for the pork.............I agree my iPad has replaced 95% of what I do on my MacBook and once I can sync to iCloud I will hardly need to use the MacBook there are exceptions one is etax in Australia runs on windows only and I have that on the Mac. My music collection which needs to be massaged sometimes and photos but other than that I do every thing on the iPad. I definitely have no desire for any add on external devices?

Oh an I like my crackle crisp and aalso enjoy a Fosters with my Pork.

Hey Col . . . I do not like apple sauce. Apples belong in tarts or Applejack. We have something with a fancy name that is essentially made from pears and a little lemon for tartness. I despise that as well. Fosters, fine by me. It works well until I can have a real beer made by Americans. Smiley. That Aussie stuff is probably prepared on some sort of barbie. Or perhaps I do not really know. Smiley.

I goggled 'crackle crisp." Love 'em but we call them Cracklins. Pig is best. With peppers or some dipping sauce. I think that is a redneck thang, y'all.

How to Make Crisp Pork Cracklings | eHow.comI must admit, I use my iPad as a replacement for my laptop. But the MacBook Air is looking good because it is quite thin. I just wonder about those folks that buy the iPad because of its size then load it up with stuff, thus making it a "laptop." Not complaining, just observing and reading the web while the piggy cooks.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought my mbp in june and couldnt believe after that I spent so much money on a laptop,it was quickly followed by my ipad2,so having spent all that money I make sure I use my mbp as a laptop,email,google searches ect and use my iPad for fun,playing games ect and wil be nice for holidays as it fits in my bag,no way I want to add anything that would make it bulky or heavy,I like my iPad just as bought it.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Col . . . I do not like apple sauce. Apples belong in tarts or Applejack. We have something with a fancy name that is essentially made from pears and a little lemon for tartness. I despise that as well. Fosters, fine by me. It works well until I can have a real beer made by Americans. Smiley. That Aussie stuff is probably prepared on some sort of barbie. Or perhaps I do not really know. Smiley.

I goggled 'crackle crisp." Love 'em but we call them Cracklins. Pig is best. With peppers or some dipping sauce. I think that is a redneck thang, y'all.

How to Make Crisp Pork Cracklings | eHow.comI must admit, I use my iPad as a replacement for my laptop. But the MacBook Air is looking good because it is quite thin. I just wonder about those folks that buy the iPad because of its size then load it up with stuff, thus making it a "laptop." Not complaining, just observing and reading the web while the piggy cooks.

Oh well back to the American dictionary ....

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
For me, the point of my iPad is to make it into whatever I so choose. I don't need anyone telling me I'm missing the point by adding external bits. What tosh. Who are you to say that?

Don't mean to sound off at all, but i've spent a small fortune on this devise and my idea of it's use is completely to the point as your ideas. Apple gave me the option. They didn't tell me no. :)

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
People wanted to use the PSP as an personal assistant
Then wanted to use the Palm Pilot as a gaming console
Then wanted to use the Wii as a media center
Then wanted to use the XBox as a computer
Then wanted to use a laptop as a tablet...
And now, they want to use the tablet as a laptop...

Anyway, nothing's perfect... :).

I could use my iPad as a paper weight, a mirror, a freesbie, a stepper, a keychain...

I wonder what would be the perfect device, that people would use for it's intent...

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions

Latest posts