Do new ipads still have the checkering effect?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Tapmyapple, Apr 16, 2012.

1. DefBref

DefBref
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    No checkering for me on engadget.com. It goes blank on a big scroll, but as soon as you stop the page reappears. This is on the first gen ipad, I don't have a third gen. I just responded to the thread, because I'm sure the checkerboard pattern was removed as part of iOS5, so I'm surprised you see it. It used to annoy me but since iOS5, I've never seen it.

2. King Hal

King Hal
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I get this on my iPad 3 when reading digital magazines but only when loading it for the first time. Not at all on any websites.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

3. seneca18

seneca18
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    None here on my iPad 3 or iPad 2. The checkerboarding effect has to do with available ram I believe. Do you have lots of open apps when you are experiencing this? Also if you are jailbroken you can get apps that will survey your usage to see if that is the problem.

4. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    While you're at it what's your Internet speed? Just post using speedtest.net to keep it simple.

5. zphone

zphone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Never seen this on the iPad3. I have heard it was common on iPad1 (due to it's slower hardware and less RAM), but was not really a problem on iPad2 for any reasonable use. It's really the first time I've heard anyone complain about this on an iPad2 so feel compelled to dig deeper..

Questions to OP; what could be unusual about your circumstance? What is your internet speed and response rate? Are you on a proxy server where you are surfing from?

6. HappyPelican

HappyPelican
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Wow! I've never seen this on my 1st or 3rd. Curiosity has gotten the best of me. Off to test on the first generation.

7. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Well I've had all 3 iPad models and consistently had the checkerboard effect on the first 2 iPads with an Internet speed of around 5 or maybe 6 Mbps.

Here is an old YouTube clip to give some of you an idea of the checkerboard effect since you've never seen it.

#17 Mickeylittle, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I tried both meedup.com and endgadget.com and had no issues. Which is surprising considering my internet isn't all that fast.

My iPad 2 is in a box in factory setup, waiting for it's new owner; so I can't compare.

9. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Not surprising at all unless you are selling an iPad 2 and keeping an iPad 1, then we have a story! The checkerboard does not occur with the new iPads but is an issue with both the 1st and 2nd editions of the iPad. But some owners of the 1st and 2nd iPads never had the issue.

10. britpoper

britpoper
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I also never experience it on my iPad2. My internet speed is average.
    But this thread really make me curious, will do some tests browsing websites with a lot of images and long pages.