What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do new ipads still have the checkering effect?

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When youre on the web and even after its finished loading you scroll and get he checkerboard effect? it is, on every single ipad 2 ive owned. If you can let me know, it would be much great.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
It was removed in iOS 5 I believe. So its not the new hardware but software, update your current ipads and you shouldn't see the checkerboard

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes that has been corrected. If you go to scrolling on a large web page before it is finished and you scroll too fast you may get a blank white page briefly but you've really gotta try to do that and you've gotta search for some intensive page for that to happen.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was removed in iOS 5 I believe. So its not the new hardware but software, update your current ipads and you shouldn't see the checkerboard

It cant be the IOS, i get it on mine even well after pages are loaded and running ios5. Ive seen it on every single ipad 2 ive used, and thats about 12-15. You dont know how ****** annoying this is. Makes you feel like you own a cheap device with inferior technology.

So I basically have to buy ipad 3 if I dont want this. :thumbsdown:

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It cant be the IOS, i get it on mine even well after pages are loaded and running ios5. Ive seen it on every single ipad 2 ive used, and thats about 12-15. You dont know how ****** annoying this is. Makes you feel like you own a cheap device with inferior technology.

So I basically have to buy ipad 3 if I dont want this. :thumbsdown:

If your iPad is updated to IOS 5 then yes I agree that it must be a new iPad thing because like you I have experienced it as well on both the original iPad as well as my iPad 2. It is common and for anyone who has never experienced it, just scroll faster! Quit doing the Steve Jobs finger on page and gently slide down and place your finger on the page and slide it fast as though you are in a huge hurry to get to the bottom.

You'll get the checkerboard on the iPad 1 & 2 but I really haven't seen it on the new iPad. Now maybe others will chime in and either verify this info or shoot it down!

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your iPad is updated to IOS 5 then yes I agree that it must be a new iPad thing because like you I have experienced it as well on both the original iPad as well as my iPad 2. It is common and for anyone who has never experienced it, just scroll faster! Quit doing the Steve Jobs finger on page and gently slide down and place your finger on the page and slide it fast as though you are in a huge hurry to get to the bottom.

You'll get the checkerboard on the iPad 1 & 2 but I really haven't seen it on the new iPad. Now maybe others will chime in and either verify this info or shoot it down!

The pathetic thing is that i dont even have to scroll a lot or fast to get it. I can do a quick tap and itll checker everytime and delay 1-2 secs like if this was a Commodore 64 from the 1990s. Like seriously Apple? Its absolutely unacceptable for any ipad to have this. I was this close to throwing my ipad 2 out the window cause the checkerboarding can get that bad at times.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
I have had no checkering since iOS5 and thats on a first gen ipad. Is there a particular website we could test for you? Whats your internet speed like?

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had no checkering since iOS5 and thats on a first gen ipad. Is there a particular website we could test for you? Whats your internet speed like?

My speeds are fine.

Try engadget and meetup.com Wait till they fully load and do slow and fast, small and big up and down scrolls.

How long you had the ipad 3 for?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
No checkering for me on engadget.com. It goes blank on a big scroll, but as soon as you stop the page reappears. This is on the first gen ipad, I don't have a third gen. I just responded to the thread, because I'm sure the checkerboard pattern was removed as part of iOS5, so I'm surprised you see it. It used to annoy me but since iOS5, I've never seen it.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get this on my iPad 3 when reading digital magazines but only when loading it for the first time. Not at all on any websites.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None here on my iPad 3 or iPad 2. The checkerboarding effect has to do with available ram I believe. Do you have lots of open apps when you are experiencing this? Also if you are jailbroken you can get apps that will survey your usage to see if that is the problem.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score

While you're at it what's your Internet speed? Just post using speedtest.net to keep it simple.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never seen this on the iPad3. I have heard it was common on iPad1 (due to it's slower hardware and less RAM), but was not really a problem on iPad2 for any reasonable use. It's really the first time I've heard anyone complain about this on an iPad2 so feel compelled to dig deeper..

Questions to OP; what could be unusual about your circumstance? What is your internet speed and response rate? Are you on a proxy server where you are surfing from?

Most reactions

Latest posts