What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do i need to perform a back up first?

Gmehenge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the post but I've searched in a few different forums and could not find a confirmed answer.

I have a Jailbroken 4.2.1 ipad. I want to upgrade to a jailbroken 4.3.2. Do i need to perform any sort of backup before i run the new snowbreeze 2.6?

Thanks for your answers! :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it depends on what you are wanting to achieve.

But the first golden rule of doing anything with your iPad is.... backup! At least that way if something goes wrong you should be able to get back to where you were. Just complete a full sync in iTunes and you will have a backup available.

If you are going to use sn0wbreeze, this will restore a custom firmware, therefore you end up with a fresh jailbroken copy of 4.3.2 on it when it is done.
Form here, the first time you plug it into iTunes it will ask you if you want to set up as new or restore from backup. This is where you make the choice about restoring your previous apps & settings.

Hope that helps!

OP
G

Gmehenge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly what i needed to know.

I have lots of apps and settings and etc that I would like to retain after I perform the snowbreeze update.

I'll perform the sync with itunes first.

Is there another backup program I should look into in order to retain my current settings and etc?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, iTunes does all your apps and settings (saved games etc.) EXCEPT jailbroken apps. I am assuming you are not jailbroken yet? If you are, and you have lots of Cydia apps already installed you may want to look into PkgBackup which helps with this.

If you are not already jailbroken, you are good to go with iTunes only.

OP
G

Gmehenge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing that out.

i am current jailbroken using 4.2.1 from greenpoison.

I'll check into the application you suggested.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also 4.2.1 greenp0ison on my ipad. What is it if I go with redsn0w?
Firstly upgrade via itunes to 4.3.2 and than JB and than restore?

I am ablo to backup save data via SCP, than copy them back later on.
I have 2 or 3 test application, all other are from app store, and I have some free apps from cydia, like default ones and the sshd..

OP
G

Gmehenge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I performed the redsnow update last night and I am now on a JB 4.3.2 IOS.

I really appreciate everyone's help and assistance with my questions above.

During the process I ran into some minor issues but nothing that I couldn't figure out on my own.

The only issue i current have is that I forgot to backup my safari bookmarks so I had to import bookmarks from an older backup (not a big deal other than having to re-arrange and delete a few of my outdated links)

If anyone needs help or assistance, I'd be happy to give back to the community and answer anyone's questions.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gmehenge said:
I performed the redsnow update last night and I am now on a JB 4.3.2 IOS.

Very pleased to hear you completed your JB. Enjoy...

OP
G

Gmehenge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not only do I owe you a thanks for your help but more importantly thanks for your QUICK responses too!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gmehenge said:
Not only do I owe you a thanks for your help but more importantly thanks for your QUICK responses too!

I always try to be helpful, but can't promise to always be quick... You're welcome.

OP
G

Gmehenge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also 4.2.1 greenp0ison on my ipad. What is it if I go with redsn0w?
Firstly upgrade via itunes to 4.3.2 and than JB and than restore?

Using redsnow will wipe your ipad clean and restore a new jailbroken 4.3.2 IOS. Make sure you backup your data, files and apps before using redsnow

The process is very easy. It will walk you through each step along the way and tell you what to do.

basically the process is:

Update itunes to 10.2.2 --> backup your files,data,apps (with whichever program you decide to use) --> run redsnow and follow its on-screen instructions --> open itunes when it tells you to--> perform restore with the file redsnow creates --> restore your files,data,apps back to your ipad --> WOO HOO! your on 4.3.2 now :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gmehenge said:
Using redsnow will wipe your ipad clean and restore a new jailbroken 4.3.2 IOS. Make sure you backup your data, files and apps before using redsnow

The process is very easy. It will walk you through each step along the way and tell you what to do.

basically the process is:

Update itunes to 10.2.2 --> backup your files,data,apps (with whichever program you decide to use) --> run redsnow and follow its on-screen instructions --> open itunes when it tells you to--> perform restore with the file redsnow creates --> restore your files,data,apps back to your ipad --> WOO HOO! your on 4.3.2 now :)

Careful Gmehenge. I think you have your information completely mixed up.

redsn0w DOES NOT wipe your iPad. redsn0w is and always has been a payload jailbreak which installs OVER THE TOP of an existing IOS installation. redsn0w does not create a custom firmware file to be loaded by iTunes.

Both sn0wbreeze and pwnage tool jailbreaks do what you describe. They are custom firmware creation tools which DO wipe the iPad when you install them.

There is a very useful sticky in this section which details the methods and the differences between them.

Hope that helps to clear up any confusion you have..

Last edited:
OP
G

Gmehenge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yikes! You are absolutely correct.. apologizes for the incorrect info... as you can see i'm definitely a 'noob' in this area. thanks for the correction!

Most reactions

Latest posts