1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Do I need this Ipad2? Please help

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by sixstringer, Jan 9, 2012.

1. sixstringer

sixstringer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Greetings, I received an Ipad2, (it says G3/Wifi on the box) for Christmas and have not yet opened the box. What will I use it for? I don't have a "smart" phone, I don't tweet or throwing things again a wall (whatever that means), or use any sort of "social networking". I don't take photos with my phone. I don't listen to music on my phone. I don't want to surf the net with my phone. I never log onto the web at airports, Starbucks, or any other public place with my laptop because of all the warnings about bad guys accessing your data at such places and stealing you bank info, passwords, etc. I visited the local Apple Store, they were no help, their answer to " What can I use an Ipad2 for" is "everything!".

I discovered I could use a GoToMyPC "app" (application?) to log into my office PCs as I do now with my laptop.
    That would be good. It would be even better if I could use it as I travel but then my info could get stolen.

Also, it REALLY torques me off that Apple requires hardware upgrades with every new OS while my 8 year old PCs are humming along just fine with new versions of the programs I use daily.

So, what cool thing could I do with this Ipad2 that would justify me keeping it?
    Thanks for your advice.
  2. idave23

idave23 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Sounds like Santa left at least one iPad2 at the wrong house.:confused: I guess nobody's perfect. >shrugs shoulders<
    • Like Like x 2
  3. skimonkey

skimonkey Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +956 / 0
    Maybe all of these things that you "don't" do will change to things that you may do and enjoy doing. Nobody can convince you to whether or not you need it. Apparently the "somebody" who did gift this to you, thought this would be a wonderful present for you. Good luck with your decision.
  4. sewqueen

sewqueen iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dear Sixstringer, I agree with ski monkey that if you give it a try you may be surprised. I understand your concern about Internet
    thieves, but just be careful. During NYE weekend, hubby and I traveled. I used iPad in hotel room to look up restaurants and
    things to do. I can sit on sofa and read personal email. Kids and grand kids have FaceTime and it is so cool to see Grandkids' faces when talking to them. Try it for pictures. Sometimes we don't like change, but at 55 I have to keep up with technology or grandkids will leave me behind. Good luck and try it. Have the person who gave it to you show how to use it.
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,912 / 1
    The iPad is more closely related to mobile consumer devices, like phones, than to a full computer; so it has the same two to three year life cycle. When/if the tablet market stabilizes a bit, that will probably get longer. As it is now, things are simply growing too fast for any hardware to be relevant for long.

As for your over all question; open it up, play with it, get some free and or cheap apps. Stick around here and read the conversations. There are lots of use cases, and one might be of interest to you. If you don't like it box it up and sell it. You'll lose a bit of the resale value, but since it was free it isn't like your throwing money away.

Besides, trying it is the least you can do after someone went to the trouble of giving you a gift. Even home made sweaters should be tried on at least once. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  6. sixstringer

sixstringer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you all for your help and encouragement.
  7. oberkc

oberkc iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I don't believe that this is true with regards to the iPad. Did not we all just upgrade iOS? I recall no hardware changes required.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0

Pop some popcorn and read! You are in the most popular iPad forum in the world. Tons of information. :)
  9. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    hey there!

the question is, what is your life style and out look on life? if i gave an ipad to my wife she'd never ever use it. not once. some people just dont need/want one. are you a gadget person? are you really bothered? my wife still prefers her radio than the tv. some peeps are just like this. i wish i was sometimes. but......

i dont have a smart phone. and if i did i'd never spend half my life on it texting, surfing, social networking ( i've never tried these and dont wont to) etc etc. i couldnt think of anything more frustrating than trying to do what my laptop does but on a tiny smart phone. but the ipad isn't like this. the large screen makes it a joy to use and surf on. it's large and clear and not fiddly. the touch screen and operation is soooo easy and intuetive, even an ape could use it without tuition.
    i never log in at public places either, purely because of the security risks. but these risks arent an issue when you're at home. the security is purely down to your own wifi then. nothing to worry about. so if you want to use it in a public place just to surf then there's no issue with security.

i'm sure you can remotely log into your office computers via your ipad. try splashtop app. and there's soooooo much paranoia too. just because you're out in public doesnt mean you're going to have your stuff stolen.

where did that come from? the current ipads will easily use the latest up coming ios's in the near future at least. probably more.

well, as mentioned, do you really want one anyway? my wife wouldn't have one, but she's learned to love using mine for internet browsing and shopping. we both love using it in bed to watch movies, news, emails, phone calls to friends and family etc etc (which can also be displayed on your tv in your lounge). i love drawing on it, taking video of my nephews and my dogs, doing my house hold accounts, watching tv, keeping my diary and calenders and reminders, using the maps app, listening to music and radio, playing the odd game every now and then..........

give it an hour or 2 and you might be pleasantly surprised. my wife was.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  10. Jeffnewc

Jeffnewc iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll take it :) I would love to give it a very good home!!
  11. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +596 / 0
    Let the bidding begin! AA
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sixstringer

sixstringer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok, I tried it. I should have gone with my gut, I hate this thing, it's as bad as a smart phone but you can't talk on it.
  13. iLloyd

iLloyd iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I never needed one. I wanted one.

Give it a go and no doubt you'll be addicted

Sent via my Opposable Thumbs
  14. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Actually, you can with the right apps but in all honesty, I think you should return it. Obviously, it is not for you.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  15. Nakedbabytoes

Nakedbabytoes iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    As my dad always says, "Power windows ain't for everybody."

Point is, you know what you like & what you don't. Maybe somebody thought you might like a change(as in, gifting it to you) but it just isn't for you.

Well, my dad likes crank open widows. Can't convince the guy of anything else because cranks work just fine, thank you.

I dig old skool people. I think sometimes we think we can't live without gadgets, but honestly sometimes I think they suck for manners(like not talking on your cell while being waited on by a cashier or not driving & texting) and actually tend to make people very demanding. I want to be entertained, I get immediate satisfaction. I want to connect with friends, I check Facebook. Superfluous human connections at best.

Crank windows aren't all that bad.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +596 / 0
    Thanks, from an old skooler.

The iPad is perfect for me because it's simple and uncluttered. At least for my purposes.
    My PC makes me crazy and I still keep paper notes because it feels like it's part of the journey.
    I've lived through 11 Canadian Prime Ministers, 10 U.S. Presidents, learned a little Latin so I could follow along in church, wore magazines for shin guards playing hockey, and still think "Big Turk" is the best candy bar ever made.

And young people today impress the heck out of me. Had I faced the choices and decisions that they do today, when I was their age, I think I would have exploded. I hope we don't mess it up too much for them. They should have hope, not despair.

What I like about this forum is it's a confluence of life experiences, with contributions from all ages. And it's respectful.

AA
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  17. jmbarker

jmbarker iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have a 4 year old iMac that runs OSX, Snow Leopard and Lion. Apple does NOT force you to upgrade hardware to run a new OS. Windoze does. If your 8 or 10 year old PC is still humming along, it is running nothing later than XP.
  18. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193 / 0
    I didnt "need" an ipad,ijust wanted one and i didnt think i would find all that much to do on it but i love it,give it a fair go,there are so many people on ipf and the apple forum that would love to be in your position.
  19. dMog

dMog iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    i would say that if you have ask if you need it you don't need it...go give it to someone that will apppreciate it...you seem to be lost with this new fangled stuff