What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I have a virus? music playing

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My I pad started playing a tune yesterday for no reason. It was almost like a phone ringing tune. I could not shut it off except by going to the volume button on the side of the I pad.

Has something gotten into my I pad?

How can I find out?
Neo

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My I pad started playing a tune yesterday for no reason. It was almost like a phone ringing tune. I could not shut it off except by going to the volume button on the side of the I pad.

How can I find out?

Hi Neo - I'm assuming you own an iPad 3 (forum that you put your thread in) - also tell us which iOS is installed. First, there are no viruses 'in the wild' that will infect iOS - the main malware issues relate to browser hijacking, ransomware, etc. Second, check Settings -> Battery to see what apps have been active recently - maybe a clue (see pic below). Finally, do you have other iDevices, like a phone, and have you setup you devices to all ring when a call comes in? Dave :)
IMG_8420.PNG

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score

How can I find out?
Neo
Double click your home button and force close any apps that are open until the music stops. Otherwise check your clock app and make sure an alarm isn't set

OP
W

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Jupiter 7...nope. Do not have any apps other than approved ones, and. One have alarms..because.....

Thanks to giradman, I went to my battery and usage and no apps showed up as using lots of battery power which might have alarms.

Thank you, Brian, yes, I checked my clock app and no alarm was set. I also went to my settings area and double checked EVERYTHING. And made sure all notifications were off..

Did everything I know to do.
Yes, I have I pad 3D generation.

Thank you all but PROBLEM not solved yet!!

Neo

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use an external keyboard with your iPad?
It's possible that one key activated a feature on your iPad, in your case music.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I said non-native Apps, I meant downloaded Apps, as opposed to the built-in ones. Often free Apps have advertisements which play sounds, including music.

Last edited:
OP
W

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gosh, I went to settings and checked all apps for alarms and notifications and everything is turned off..

It just happened at a strange time..

This has never happened before..and I try not to get free apps for that reason..I want to keep my sanity and privacy ..ha ha..not really possible so I understand.

Thank you for your kindness Jupiter
Neo

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a thought, have you got an iPhone? If it was set up to forward calls to your iPad, you would hear it ring as well.

Hey Jupiter - I bought that one up in my post on the previous page - the OP must have not read that part and did not respond, but would like to know - Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oops, sorry, Dave! I missed that.

Not a problem at all - just wanted our OP to notice our comments - NOW, if this is still happening (we don't know), has the time come to just try a RESET? If not already done, then follow step #3 quoted below and see if that is useful - Dave :)

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:
1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.
2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.
3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (this may take 10 secs or so); release the buttons and the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

Most reactions

Latest posts