What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY 360 Stand for Ipad for under $50

sajakea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently bought the wife and myself the new ipads (looove it!) but it wasn't long before I discovered that they are not that comfortable to hold, forget laying in the bed with them. So I made this...now I can read, watch movies and type (bluetooth keyboard) all hands free! The cheapest I found on the internet was $45 for table top versions and $129 for the mobile designs. If any are interested I'll write up a how-to. As you can see it's still a little crude, the stand is great if the ipad remains close to the base but if extended out too far it wanted to teeter over so I need to add weight to the base. (See my temporary fix, weighted using weights)

Attachments

• image-2396840042.jpg
    image-2396840042.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 925
  • image-3555800337.jpg
    image-3555800337.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2,558
  • image-2659162651.jpg
    image-2659162651.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 938
  • image-2021378911.jpg
    image-2021378911.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,606

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks good. Although you can buy stands just like that(designed by leading apple coordinators) for £30($45) no weights required.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love inventions though. It adds some taste to it. Besides, if somebody bothers me when I'm playing with my iPad, that's what the weights is for. Lol.

OP
sajakea

sajakea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:
Good point, everyone has their views!

@ iDeviceGuru...I did a pretty good search for a ipad stand (floor model) and found none under $100. Add 360 degree swivel and I found nothing less then $130. I did find a clamp on stand for $45 but you need something to clamp it onto - good luck with that out on the patio, away from a desk or bed post. If you have links to floor model ipad stands under $50 please post links here cuz I'd still probably buy one. I doubt it. Please prove me wrong. Good luck. Further... the stand that I'm using does detach and can be used @ a desk with the desk base...picture coming. $45 - I know not

Last edited:
OP
sajakea

sajakea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sajakea said:
@ iDeviceGuru...I did a pretty good search for a ipad stand (floor model) and found none under $100. Add 360 degree swivel and I found nothing less then $130. I did find a clamp on stand for $45 but you need something to clamp it onto - good luck with that out on the patio, away from a desk or bed post. If you have links to floor model ipad stands under $50 please post links here cuz I'd still probably buy one. I doubt it. Please prove me wrong. Good luck.

Further... the stand that I'm using does detach and can be used @ a desk with the desk base...picture coming. $45 - I know not.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sajakea said:
Further... the stand that I'm using does detach and can be used @ a desk with the desk base...picture coming. $45 - I know not.

I bought one in a shop where I live in the uk for £35, 360 swivel, lightweight, detachable, wheels, stylish. If you were to buy it from the uk shipping would probably be double the cost of the actual stand.

The iDevice Guru

OP
sajakea

sajakea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:
I bought one in a shop where I live in the uk for £35, 360 swivel, lightweight, detachable, wheels, stylish. If you were to buy it from the uk shipping would probably be double the cost of the actual stand.

The iDevice Guru

link? photo? company name? I'm a buyer.

OP
sajakea

sajakea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
veryken said:
There's one for $99.95, but not swivel:

Standzfree, The Hands-Free iPad Stand by Standzout

I got their cradle only, and it's a perfect fit for the new iPad(3).

Nice! In the video it swiveled. I'd buy that instead of making my own if I couldn't find cheap parts (under $50) and do it in 2-3 hrs. Definitely recommend this one - bookmarked and shared! Thanks for the link.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's one for $99.95, but not swivel:

Standzfree, The Hands-Free iPad Stand by Standzout

I got their cradle only, and it's a perfect fit for the new iPad(3).
Looked seriously at that one. The only problem with it is as far as I can tell is that you can only use it with a naked iPad. Don't really want to have to remove the cover every time I want to use the stand. Other than that, it's a great looking product.

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Standzout cradle is surprisingly versatile. I was searching for a super low cost way to variously mount it at home. But it's certainly not meant for every situation.

BTW, I've updated my instructables video to show it better:
Removable Swing-arm Bedside iPad Mount

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts