What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Displaying your iPad on your Tv (In real time)?

Effex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have recently bought an iPad 3rd Gen. and one of the things I am trying to do with it is use it to display children's educational materiel on the television.

I know that Apple Tv takes care of wireless movie/music streaming, but would it also allow me to use my Tv as a projection for things like: drawing on the iPad, using apps, etc?

Another solution I've come across is getting a dock-to-HDMI adapter, but the ones I've found online were rated poorly due to Tv's often not even recognizing that there is an iPad connected..

Is there another solution? Can Apple Tv provide the function that I am looking for? I am hoping that someone here has already found a reliable solution to what I am trying to do, and can share some insight.

Thank you!

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple TV will mirror whatever you're doing on the iPad 3. I think it's the easiest solution.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed with above, I use my Apple TV all the time. The mirroring function works great for everything you do on your iPad but if you have apps that are airplay capable it works and looks even better.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use both methods and am desperately waiting for a jailbreak to come out so that I can install a Cydia app that will allow me to stretch the sides of the screen out without losing the top and the bottom of the screen off the TV. Basically the app turns the iPad's display into a 16X9 instead of a 4X3 and it looks good!

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickeylittle said:
I use both methods and am desperately waiting for a jailbreak to come out so that I can install a Cydia app that will allow me to stretch the sides of the screen out without losing the top and the bottom of the screen off the TV. Basically the app turns the iPad's display into a 16X9 instead of a 4X3 and it looks good!

Whats the app called?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It will look distorted. I don't understand why you would want this. I'd rather have a one-to-one mapping of my screen to TV rather than having is stretched in one dimension but not in the other. To each his or her own.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will look distorted. I don't understand why you would want this. I'd rather have a one-to-one mapping of my screen to TV rather than having is stretched in one dimension but not in the other. To each his or her own.

It has looked very good actually! And what is cool about the app is that you have total control and very fine tuning so you stretch it exactly how far you want it stretched. All I know is that Android tabs have got this part right and it's about time for Apple to wake up.

I keep an Android device for 1 purpose and that is so that when I plug into larger wide screen TVs (which is frequently) my audience gets 100% of the screen and not just 65-70% that Apple offers.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a note if you are talking about educational content in a school environment where the wireless might be stretched thin you may experience some lag.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a note if you are talking about educational content in a school environment where the wireless might be stretched thin you may experience some lag.

I'm not. This is on my home TV and at work as well and I haven't tried it on Apple TV but know that it works great on the HDMI out cable. I haven't tried it on the Apple TV because I haven't been Jailbroken since owning it!

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in Aq_oc's camp. I prefer my content be displayed in the aspect it was intended. It is a 4:3ish display. If I tried to force a 16:9 all of the images will be distorted just like they are if you do it with normal TV. It is like looking into a funhouse mirror. Some people can live with it, some people even like it, I can't stand it.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't most tv's have various functions to play with the image? Mine has full, justify ( like what you describe), zoom and stretch.

Furthermore if those don't work I can customize the display for one input.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wish mine did. All I have is a zoom button to give me normal,wide,cinema and if I choose anything other than normal I get the top and bottom of the iPad screen chopped off. I own the insignia 46" TV from Best Buy. And on that TV in normal mode I lose right at 40% of the screen viewing area.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickeylittle said:
I wish mine did. All I have is a zoom button to give me normal,wide,cinema and if I choose anything other than normal I get the top and bottom of the iPad screen chopped off. I own the insignia 46" TV from Best Buy. And on that TV in normal mode I lose right at 40% of the screen viewing area.

With a 46" screen you have plenty of screen space to see the iPad 4:3 area.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With a 46" screen you have plenty of screen space to see the iPad 4:3 area.

It's ok I'll figure it out. All I know is that with my iPad I get roughly a 30" picture and with my Android tablet I get a full 46" picture. That is the bottom line. Pardon me for suggesting that it would be nice to get the extra 16 inches. Until a jailbreak comes out I'll keep my Android tablet just for this reason. Anyway I'll shut up now as I must be the only person on this entire forum who doesn't like the 4x3.

Most reactions

Latest posts