What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

display owners name on lock screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BALROG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a way to display my name on the lockscreen of my ipad so that i can be contacted if i lose my ipad and someone finds it?

is there a way to do that with the ipad software or an app?

Thanks for help

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lock screen image...

You can screen capture any iPad screen displaying your info and make it your lock screen in about 30 seconds :)

-t

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a photo i took and with a photo editor added "If found, please call ##########"
Now my phone number is visable on the lock screen in portrait or landscape.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
drb_52 said:
I use a photo i took and with a photo editor added "If found, please call ##########"
Now my phone number is visable on the lock screen in portrait or landscape.

Brilliant idea. I've just done the same. Thanks for the tip.

jhumph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jockscrap said:

Yeah. Real brilliant. Because if someone finds an iPad the first thing they'll think is, "I gotta return this to its rightful owner!"

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jockscrap said:

Yeah. Real brilliant. Because if someone finds an iPad the first thing they'll think is, "I gotta return this to its rightful owner!"
Sarcasm can be an effective tool when used correctly. You haven't.

If someone who finds an iPad, or anything else of value for that matter, is inclined to keep it anyway and not try and find the rightful owner then whether or not the owner's name/address etc. is readily available makes no difference.

If, and I believe this to be the case, there are many more people out there than your pessimism allows for who are inclined to make that attempt, then having your name and phone number in an obvious place, making it easier for them to find you is a smart, if not brilliant, idea. ;)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jhumph said:

If you have nothing constructive to say........don't say anything.

idave23 said:

If someone who finds an iPad, or anything else of value for that matter, is inclined to keep it anyway and not try and find the rightful owner then whether or not the owner's name/address etc. is readily available makes no difference.

If, and I believe this to be the case, there are many more people out there than your pessimism allows for who are inclined to make that attempt, then having your name and phone number in an obvious place, making it easier for them to find you is a smart, if not brilliant, idea. ;)

Agreed, I can see this being especially useful in workplaces where a number of people have iPads, it would be easy to pick up the wrong one after a meeting.

The Archangel

jhumph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
idave23 said:

You made my point for me. Instead of putting your phone # and hope that a "good Samaritan" calls you, get an app that will give you the exact location of the iPad. Edited by Moderator ~ I am the sarcasm police. Let's be clear: You do not have freedom of speech here. This is a privately owned forum. Read the rules when you return from your vacation! SP

Last edited by a moderator:

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lock screen image...

You can screen capture any iPad screen displaying your info and make it your lock screen in about 30 seconds :)

-t

What are the steps for doing this?
Simple. First, once you have what you want to capture on the screen, just press both the power and home buttons for just a brief second. You should hear a camera click and the screen flashes white briefly. The image is saved in your Camera Roll.

Next, go into Settings>Brightness & Wallpaper. Touch in the box below "Wallpaper". Choose "Camera Roll". Find the image you just saved and press either "Set Lock Screen" or "Set Home Screen" or "Both" at the top right and that's it.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
singlestick said:

I took a photo in to Pages to add the text I wanted, then screen captured that. I used the free app PS Express to crop the photo down and added to the lock screen as described in the post above. If you don't have a way of adding text to a photo yet (not sure if there is a free app for that), you could just type your details on to a page in notes and screen capture that.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lock screen image...

-t

Simple. First, once you have what you want to capture on the screen, just press both the power and home buttons for just a brief second. You should hear a camera click and the screen flashes white briefly. The image is saved in your Camera Roll.

Next, go into Settings>Brightness & Wallpaper. Touch in the box below "Wallpaper". Choose "Camera Roll". Find the image you just saved and press either "Set Lock Screen" or "Set Home Screen" or "Both" at the top right and that's it.

Thanks very much for this. I guess it's basic, but I never noticed it or saw it clearly explained before.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
idave23 said:

You made my point for me. Instead of putting your phone # and hope that a "good Samaritan" calls you, get an app that will give you the exact location of the iPad. Edited by Moderator ~ I am the sarcasm police. Let's be clear: You do not have freedom of speech here. This is a privately owned forum. Read the rules when you return from your vacation! SP

I certainly hope that there is a level of freedom of speech here. Forums, by nature, are for users to express their valid but often controversial or unpopular opinions. What I think you meant is that moderators have the right to edit those who have crossed the line or are not following the rules, re-track those who have hijacked threads, and remind users to be kind to each other. Personally I don't think sarcasm should be so heavily-handed called-out by the moderators as in this case the poster (although perhaps a bit negative) and right or wrong in your mind did make a valid point. Unfortunately, the world is full of morally corrupt people who would not return a lost iPad if they found one, even with a phone number prominently displayed. That we wish it otherwise does not make it true. Nor, I think, should it be so heavily moderated. If being pessimistic or sarcastic on this forum is going to be closely monitored and chastised then a new approach should probably be considered. (You’ll lose a lot of users with that philosophy.) People like Mark Twain or Kurt Vonnegut, were they alive and members of the forum, wouldn't last five posts here. Of course, this is only my opinion and subject to moderation.

greasemuntney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The idea of putting you name and phone number is a very good one. But look at it this way. The honest person will contact you and try to return the device and no matter what is done a UN-honest person will keep it. Just like door lock they are to keep honest people honest. It is just sad that the world is more full of the un-honest people than the honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts