Dish Network to provide free TV streaming on mobile devices for subscribers

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by wuyanks, Aug 4, 2010.

1. wuyanks

wuyanks iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]

One feature lacking on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (aside from SlingBox) is streaming live TV. However, that is about to change for Dish Network customers. Soon, Dish Network subscribers will soon be able to watch live TV on their mobile devices, at no extra cost. A service... for free?! Now, you will need extra hardware for this setup to work, and Dish Network will provide two options. One is to purchase a SlingBox, which retails for $180 to $300. The second option would be to cough up "$200 to $400 to upgrade to Dish's HD DVR with SlingBox features." In addition to that flat fee, the multiple DVR service will cost $10 a month, but at least you'll get recording capabilities with it. So streaming TV onto your mobile device will be free, kinda. How will the free app work?

Not so bad, but this "remote channel switching" could fuel some sibling rivalries. Parents, watch out!

It certainly seems that Dish Network has gotten the jump on its competitors with these new features. Not to mention that mobile streaming for Dish subscribers is technically free of charge, this should propel ahead Dish Network in the eyes of many tech geeks and TV addicts. It certainly doesn't hurt that SlingBox and Dish Network have very close ties, in that both companies share the same CEO, Charles Ergen. Let's hope Verizon, Comcast, and Time Warner Cable, have an answer for this shortly. Expect the updated Dish Network app to hit the App Store sometime in September, and the Android Market should see the app in October.

via Engadget
    Source: Associated Press
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. MattChance

MattChance iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought the tweet said DirecTV at first. See, if DirecTV did this, the right way, i.e., without all of the expensive bullcrap mentioned as necessary to use a free app, they'd win back jilted subscribers.

Better yet, when will TV networks take a hint like ABC did, and just put out their own apps? Skip the freaking middleman, and you're bound to do better than Hulu can.
  3. Ochimo

Ochimo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes ABC did do this BUT (wish I could find the link) now im hearing rummors that they could switch it to Pay.
  4. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I already have a Slingbox rigged up. It also costs 30$ for the app to run it and it's still the tiny iPhone version. They say the iPad version is on the way but that was in march. Right now Slingbox is crappy on the pad...
  5. kierandill

kierandill iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, I don't want every network doing their own app. Who wants 20 different apps to switch between?
    I also already have a Slingbox, so the real questions for me are:
    Will this (free?) app work with my existing hardware (Solo)?
    Will it allow higher resolution to mobiles than the Slingplayer app currently does (artificially limited 320x240)? If not, it represents nothing new.
  6. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    After spending for it I agree. It's useful if you go out of your tv region for some time but watching a crummy iPod sized screen?...
  7. aky2r5

aky2r5 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all! Just came across these postings. I just got the sling adapter to set up with my Ipad. I think its pretty cool! Working for DISH Network I had some experience with the product, but now I finally have my own. Its great for me and I love never having to miss my favs again! :)