What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disguised for public transport

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After thinking about it for a while I realise that I need a case to hide the iPad, not show it off. The most obvious disguise would be to make it look like a book or a notepad.

The BookBook and the Dodocase look too stylish and attention-grabbing.

I need something low-key (shabby, even), rugged and that holds the iPad securely.

Short of making something myself, does anyone have any ideas?

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Umm.. Go to a book store, find a hardback thats the right size and start cutting. I would glue the pages.

I found with my dodo case that as some online videos show it falling out.. I can't see that happening. Every time I open the book, it's never in a position to fall out.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Go to a Staples and get a Mini-notebook case like would hold an Acer. Often on sale. I got one for $13. If you can find one with handles that would be good. Get Black and you can find them in nylon or other strong fabric and zip closure.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The BookBook and the Dodocase look too stylish and attention-grabbing.

The BookBook is definitely too ostentatious, but a Moleskine-style cover is quite unobtrusive. The only reason I can recognize a Moleskine iPad cover for what it is from twenty metres is because of its size; at a glance, your average passer-by wouldn't know it from a dead-tree paper notebook if it was lying on a coffee table.

Portenzo (Portenzo - Hand made iPad cases) make a pretty nice Moleskine cover, with additional options to customize as well as in "composition notebook" and "wingtip notebook" styles. Treegloo (Treegloo Products - iPad Cases: customizable, durable, eco-friendly, and made by hand.) also do a Moleskine with customization, depending on what you like.

As for DodoCase, they were an early starter, but their poor reputation for lack of durability and fragility -- check these comments from less than a week ago cf. Review: DODOcase for the iPad -- makes one wonder why anyone would want to buy one, unless it's a vanity purchase.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"low-key (shabby, even)" that describes the apple case.......
well at least it describes mine.

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me the problem with the Apple case is the logo...

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on whether you want to merely carry the thing unnoticed or whether you want to use it while you're traveling.

OP
C

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to carry it around unnoticed period. Plus, I spend more than 12 hours a week on public transport.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a dodo case..I actually like it a lot. For added security, I just superglued around all the ages.

But anywho, I like it a lot and it serves its need. If you were to buy one and make it look more like a book, you could get a used book, and cut strips out to make the outside of the bamboo case look like pages. A lot of work though.

box-E

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My suggestion is go to a book store that sells zip close bible cases and put it in that, I doubt anyone would steal a bible:).
Drew

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My suggestion is go to a book store that sells zip close bible cases and put it in that, I doubt anyone would steal a bible:).
Drew

Except that there aren't that many bible cases in the shape of an iPad that I've seen. (Bibles, as you know, tend to be square and chunky; the very antithesis of the iPad's design.)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a dodo case..I actually like it a lot. For added security, I just superglued around all the ages.

I suppose that's my point: why go for a product which doesn't give peace-of-mind with ownership, especially when there are similar products out there with lower cost and/or better durability?

hanoverfiste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered my Dodo prior to becoming a member of this forum. (ooops). I received it today and opened it with a lot of trepidation. So far everything is great the Ipad went in fine it is sitting flush (not at all like a review I saw on You-Tube). I even attempted the "turn it over and try to make it fall out gimmick" and the Ipad stayed in nicely. As far as pricing the Dodo and the Portenzo are as far as I can tell are the same price, so as far as vanity goes. I guess "Im so vain" (sorry bad pun):)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dodocase has (and still does have) a major first-mover advantage, being the first to market with a Moleskine-style cover, and getting a lot of early attention and word-of-mouth which gave it a very strong market share before its competitors came along.

I guess the problem about Dodo was that their issues tend to be recurring around the same few things - the pads coming lose, the frame splitting/breaking, devices falling out - and they're still happening, despite some of these defects being raised months ago. This points to either an inability or unwillingness to fix the product, which is no good for owners, regardless of the reason. (I derive no schadenfraude hearing about failed Dodcase products.) More importantly, these issues have not occured with their competitors' products with the severity that Dodo has (and I can speak firsthand for Treegloo as an owner.)

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first iPad case was a netbook case I picked up in a 99-cent store, but I think it cost me around $5.00
I am sure there are plenty of similar cases out there but this one is marked as the Perry Ellis Portfolio
Mine is all black mesh-like nylon outside with leather trim, smooth nylon inside, with some kind of foam stitched between
It doesn't offer any screen protection for the iPad but now I am relying on my ZAGGmate with keyboard for that
It accommodates the iPad perfectly and I am using it again when I don't have the naked in my Simplism folio with shoulder strap

Most reactions

Latest posts