1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Disguised for public transport

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by chowdown, Jan 3, 2011.

1. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    After thinking about it for a while I realise that I need a case to hide the iPad, not show it off. The most obvious disguise would be to make it look like a book or a notepad.

The BookBook and the Dodocase look too stylish and attention-grabbing.

I need something low-key (shabby, even), rugged and that holds the iPad securely.

Short of making something myself, does anyone have any ideas?
  2. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Umm.. Go to a book store, find a hardback thats the right size and start cutting. I would glue the pages.

I found with my dodo case that as some online videos show it falling out.. I can't see that happening. Every time I open the book, it's never in a position to fall out.
  3. mslammers

mslammers iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go to a Staples and get a Mini-notebook case like would hold an Acer. Often on sale. I got one for $13. If you can find one with handles that would be good. Get Black and you can find them in nylon or other strong fabric and zip closure.
  4. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The BookBook is definitely too ostentatious, but a Moleskine-style cover is quite unobtrusive. The only reason I can recognize a Moleskine iPad cover for what it is from twenty metres is because of its size; at a glance, your average passer-by wouldn't know it from a dead-tree paper notebook if it was lying on a coffee table.

Portenzo (Portenzo - Hand made iPad cases) make a pretty nice Moleskine cover, with additional options to customize as well as in "composition notebook" and "wingtip notebook" styles. Treegloo (Treegloo Products - iPad Cases: customizable, durable, eco-friendly, and made by hand.) also do a Moleskine with customization, depending on what you like.

As for DodoCase, they were an early starter, but their poor reputation for lack of durability and fragility -- check these comments from less than a week ago cf. Review: DODOcase for the iPad -- makes one wonder why anyone would want to buy one, unless it's a vanity purchase.
  5. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    "low-key (shabby, even)" that describes the apple case.......
    well at least it describes mine.
  6. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    For me the problem with the Apple case is the logo...
  7. Mossi

Mossi iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I suppose it depends on whether you want to merely carry the thing unnoticed or whether you want to use it while you're traveling.
  8. chowdown

chowdown iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I want to carry it around unnoticed period. Plus, I spend more than 12 hours a week on public transport.
  9. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have a dodo case..I actually like it a lot. For added security, I just superglued around all the ages.

But anywho, I like it a lot and it serves its need. If you were to buy one and make it look more like a book, you could get a used book, and cut strips out to make the outside of the bamboo case look like pages. A lot of work though.
  10. box-E

box-E iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My suggestion is go to a book store that sells zip close bible cases and put it in that, I doubt anyone would steal a bible:).
    Drew
  11. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Except that there aren't that many bible cases in the shape of an iPad that I've seen. (Bibles, as you know, tend to be square and chunky; the very antithesis of the iPad's design.)
  12. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I suppose that's my point: why go for a product which doesn't give peace-of-mind with ownership, especially when there are similar products out there with lower cost and/or better durability?
  13. hanoverfiste

hanoverfiste iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ordered my Dodo prior to becoming a member of this forum. (ooops). I received it today and opened it with a lot of trepidation. So far everything is great the Ipad went in fine it is sitting flush (not at all like a review I saw on You-Tube). I even attempted the "turn it over and try to make it fall out gimmick" and the Ipad stayed in nicely. As far as pricing the Dodo and the Portenzo are as far as I can tell are the same price, so as far as vanity goes. I guess "Im so vain" (sorry bad pun):)
  14. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Dodocase has (and still does have) a major first-mover advantage, being the first to market with a Moleskine-style cover, and getting a lot of early attention and word-of-mouth which gave it a very strong market share before its competitors came along.

I guess the problem about Dodo was that their issues tend to be recurring around the same few things - the pads coming lose, the frame splitting/breaking, devices falling out - and they're still happening, despite some of these defects being raised months ago. This points to either an inability or unwillingness to fix the product, which is no good for owners, regardless of the reason. (I derive no schadenfraude hearing about failed Dodcase products.) More importantly, these issues have not occured with their competitors' products with the severity that Dodo has (and I can speak firsthand for Treegloo as an owner.)
  15. kc2ped

kc2ped iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    My first iPad case was a netbook case I picked up in a 99-cent store, but I think it cost me around $5.00
    I am sure there are plenty of similar cases out there but this one is marked as the Perry Ellis Portfolio
    Mine is all black mesh-like nylon outside with leather trim, smooth nylon inside, with some kind of foam stitched between
    It doesn't offer any screen protection for the iPad but now I am relying on my ZAGGmate with keyboard for that
    It accommodates the iPad perfectly and I am using it again when I don't have the naked in my Simplism folio with shoulder strap
  16. iDisguiser

iDisguiser iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unfortunately, I've read that the Bible is the most stolen book in America. Maybe not the best choice. I spent about 2 hours making a disguise case from a $10 'Black and Red' notepad. It looks completely normal when closed. If you have that on your lap nobody will know what's inside.

Attached Files:

17. iMadHatter

iMadHatter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i like the bookbook a lot just cause its an old book look, i like stuff like that but for sure it would stand out even more so.
  18. kustard

kustard iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The 'BlacknRed' idea is FANTASTIC! :D
  19. Futurebird

Futurebird iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the best option is to have a simple book bag, put the iPad in a case then in the bag. Small iPad-sized bags will tend to be a dead give-away. I keep mine in a bookbag when on the subway. I only take it out if I have a seat near the center of the car (not near the doors) -- I'm more likely to take it out if other people have devices out too.

My bag has snaps on it and I loop one through my case so if someone snatched it they would pull me and my bag along too!

I decided, also that I could not live in fear forever. Not being able to use my fun iPad on the train because I'm scared sucks. It makes the device less useful. But, if you never risk you never live. I'm not rich, but really, even if it were stolen, I can save up for a week or two and buy a new one, it's just a *thing* I won't ever forget that. LIVE. Don't let the scum of the earth cramp your ability to enjoy life!

I once saw a man try to grab an iPod touch from a young kid. The kid cried out and lunged, the thief was grabbed and tripped by multiple train passengers. The iPod fell on the ground** and the thief got away. The iPod still worked and we all comforted the kid and cheered for him since his iPod was fine. NYC is a tough town.

Alternately ,you could find a removable sticker that said "GALAXY TAB" and stick that on the back....

** This is why I bought drop insurance. I have a feeling that an attempted robbery would result in my iPad being dropped... and I'm clumsy.
  20. Dyeman12

Dyeman12 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too use my iPad on the Metro, but here in the VA/DC area, it is not so risky unless you head into the ghetto areas. ...I'm just say'n...

My stealth case solution is to simply slip the iPad + Switcheasy Canvas into a regular zippered folio case I got free from work. Looks like what every other business commuter carries and it has a Homeland Security logo on it.

I really like the look of that Black and Red notebook idea, sneaky;)