What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disaster! Help Please

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Installed a new hard drive and some how device was reset to factory specks. How do I get all my apps back on the device. All I have now is iTunes and cable picture. I am at your mercy, be kind and carefully detailed. Please

Jerry

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I said all I have is iTunes, I meant only the iTunes logo in the middle of the screen and a picture of the white iTunes cable. Tapping anything on the screen does nothing.

Square one

Jerry

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You will have to connect the iPad to your computer and iTunes again, just like you did when you first got it (if you did it that way). If you've been syncing the iPad with iTunes, then you should get a restore from backup option during the initialization process. If you don't get it, you can right click on the iPad after it's been initialized and choose Restore from Backup.

If you have not been syncing the iPad with iTunes, you will still have to initialize it in iTunes on the computer. Instead of trying to restore from backup you will have to go to the App Store on the iPad, check out the Purchased tab, and download all your apps again.

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mikel
I have found your response to be among those most accurate the majority of times, so i respect and follow the direction you usually give. I am pretty much under the impression that some how some of the remnants of previous apps, particularly Docs To Go and Ianotate are not being completly expunged when I uninstall and reinstall. Neither now will sync with the dektop in spite of all I have done. Wondering if my best move would be to do a complete reinstall of my apps including these two rogues. All files are on the desk top hard drive anyhow. I have already lost most of the day struggling with trying to succeed in getting them to sync with the desktop.

What would be the quickest way to wipe the device and reinstall?

Jerry

I do little actual composeing. Mainly use the device for storage of files and data and research

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Flattery will get you everywhere. ;)

You've done quite a few things I've never tried, so I don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to giving you advice. But this is what I would try if I was going to start over. Hold in mind that whenever you do a restore there is a chance you will loose something, so be double sure you've got everything you care about saved off the iPad.

Open iTunes, go to Preferences, the Devices tab, and prevent auto sync. This will prevent unwanted backups and syncing. It also prevents auto-launching of iTunes, so you may want to turn it back on later, if you like that feature.

Connect to iTunes and do a Transfer Purchases, then a backup. Both of these can be done by right clicking on the iPad under the Devices list. Then restore from the Summary page.

When the restore is done you will have to re-initiallize the iPad in iTunes.

This is where you make a choice between a clean start, and getting your stuff back. If you want your stuff back, then choose Restore from Backup when you get the choice. If you don't get the choice, then choose it by right clicking on the iPad and selecting it. When done sync the iPad to get back your app, music, whatever.

Hold in mind that the restore from backup does not restore your apps, only the content of the apps. If after syncing the apps, if they are still missing content or game save, you can try another restore from backup. It's been known to work a second time, but not always.

If you want a clean start, go through your sync settings to make sure what you want is selected, then sync. This will probably take a long time, depending on what all you have.

For a supper clean start, and the longest recovery time, do not sync your apps. Leave apps syncing on, so that you continue to get them backed up, but uncheck them all. Don't delete them, because you may lose your access to discontinued apps that you want. Instead manually download the apps to the iPad straight from the app store.

Anyway, that is what I would try if I were in your shoes and had given up on all lesser remedies. No guarantees. Much of my info is simply what I remember from what I've read. There is no way I've got the resources or time to try it all out myself.

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mikel, OK
While I have a lot of utility apps apart from those that access PDF files (Iannotate) and Word/Excel files (DTG) The utility apps such as calculator, timer, ect) can be restored later.

Initially I want basically to copy my PDF, Word, Excel files to the device. While I hate the Device for what it can't do, I love it for what it can do. That is, I have immediate access to all my research, etc under my arm with instant access without boot-up time and other frustrations. If other Apple bashers could just look at it that way. Love it for what it can do, and forget what it can't do. One will never be happy if focused on what it can't do.

So then I want to render the Device clean, like from the factory. Then install iAnnotate & DocsToGo. With them working properly I can use their special WiFi feature to copy all my other files to the Device. Other utilities later.

I never put anything on the Device that I don't have two backups of on other media. I want it only for its immediate accessability

Jerry

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Then the restore, initialize and and download the apps again should work perfectly for you. Make sure you use your existing Apple ID. Don't let the prompts fool you into creating a new on.

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, was waiting for that one last post to build my confidence that, that was the way to go.

Getting late in Florida, so I am going to get it started and let it work as a restore of a couple thousand files will take some time.

Jerry

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Working! Took two tries before iAnnotate's reader service connected to my wi-fi. I just loaded the one app the 2nd time and it is copying files as I write. I was truthfully lost without access to all my work,

Mucho gracias

Jer

PS: "DTG" will be next

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's great. For DTG, since the desktop app seemed to be a big part of your problem, perhaps you might want to go the DropBox route instead for syncing documents.

OP
J

jerliz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DTG still refuses to talk to my computer. I ask their support for help a couple of days ago. Typical response ... nothing at all since they told me it would be a few days before getting back to me. So I am not too impressed with their app nor their non-concerns. I certainly will not be quick to recommend their app to anyone.

Jer

Most reactions

Latest posts