Disappointed with netflix streaming selection

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by mamiamjo, May 4, 2010.

1. mamiamjo

mamiamjo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not really an iPad issue but I am disappointed in the selection of movies available for streaming. I signed up for netflix just to stream movies and tv shows on my iPad, but I find mostly older movies and tv shows. Is anyone else disappointed in the selection?
  2. TheBaron

TheBaron iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was sort of disappointed at first, but then realized there was a great selection of indie and old movies available. I wish there were more selections available, but $9 a month is pretty cheap. Let's hope it continues to improve though.
  3. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yeah, I looked into getting it on my PS3 about 6 months ago. Looked at the movie selection, mostly old stuff and obscure movies. I want new movies.
  4. BuayaGuy

BuayaGuy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't say that I expect NEW movies to be streamable - I'm sure there must be some licensing issues where only PPV is allowed to show movies soon after their theatrical runs.

I'm still a bit disappointed that a LOT of older movies aren't streamable either. I thought for $9, I would be able to watch tons of stuff. I hope they're adding more every day…
  5. mamiamjo

mamiamjo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Superbike81 I'd like to see "new DVD release" movies available (or even relatively new to DVD). If I have get a DVD to see the newer stuff, it kind of negates using the iPad, besides then I'd rather just rent from Redbox
  6. mk1151

mk1151 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a New Release section in the streaming category and they do have movies that just came out on DVD there - not the "blockbusters" like Avatar, and for good reason...

If they had those available, the servers and bandwidth required to suppoort the people that would want to stream it would be impossible to account for - they would have to setup scheduled timeslots for people to watch it just to make sure they could keep up with the demand.

I have Netflix streaming on the PS3, and my newer TV actually has an IP connection in with with a NetFlix app which is nice.

I'm fairly happy with it - you just have to have the right expectations...
  7. mamiamjo

mamiamjo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well they do have a New Release section but they do not have very many movies that "just came out on DVD"
    Take a look at the DVD section and then the streaming section and you will see what I mean.
    Maybe my expectations are too high, but Netflix doesn't meet them so i'll probably be cancelling
  8. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PHP:
    For the about .30 a day I'm very happy with what is available in bluray, DVD, and streaming. No complaints.
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  9. G.a.r.y

G.a.r.y iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I canceled mine, for me, nothing interested me. Also when I did watch something, it stopped often to catch up with the download. Four hours watching palam 123 and the volume was too low to easily hear it.

You tube is free.
  10. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Youtube movies are not free. Sure, they may have some free ones, but many cost. Just thought I would clear that up.
  11. alvraen

alvraen iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, buying it prepaid in three month increments at Best Buy is the best value. Saves you 4 dollars - I got it for 25.99
  12. Gazuga6176

Gazuga6176 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just be patient, watch the few flicks that you do enjoy, and then let netflix make recommendations. You would be surprised at the gems they have available. Of course for new movies, you have to wait, or get them on DVD. But at least you have the choice.
  13. Jman09

Jman09 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Its not exactly Netflix's fault for their movie streaming selection. The major movie companies aren't going to let them stream all the new movies, because all their DVD sales would be down. I think it's still a good selection, I use it on my XBOX all the time, and especially with the TV Series available. And it's only $10 a month for unlimited streaming.
  14. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been a netflix member for quite sometime now and the streaming section has improved greatly since it started with more added at a steady pace. Memba movie companies wanna make money, not just let the whole world stream there movies right after DVD release. Good things come to those who wait. The tv show section alone is worth it 9 bucks a month for all those seasons. Love it! It's the app that pushed me to by the iPad.
  15. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    That would make sense if, you know, the movie studios weren't letting other companies do it. Amazon's Video on Demand has tons of movies to stream on the day the DVD is released, and I think iTunes does as well. The real issue is contracts between the various companies, some of which have exclusive deals with the providers. That's why Amazon won't provide a app for ipods/ipads, it's why iTunes gets Disney movies when Amazon can't. I'd bet the contracts specify that Netflix can't stream new content before a certain period after release. That's the downside, but the upside is that it's a lot cheaper.

All that aside, I'm really hoping Amazon can be pushed into an app that allows streaming, at least; I've got about a terabyte of data I bought from them before I bought my iPad. And the service is just plain better than iTunes.
  16. Jman09

Jman09 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with you about the different contracts between the various companies. But the with Netflix you pay a monthly fee to stream movies and have new releases sent to your house on either DVD or Blu-Ray. With iTunes or Amazon Video on Demand you are renting each movie you stream. You are paying per movie, not a monthly fee. It would be the same as going to the Video Rental store and getting the new releases except you don't have to leave your house.
    That type of a rental service would be good on the iPad.
  17. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    Netflix is the best deal going in terms of value, now that they offer streaming content (I'd never use the dvd service). My chief reason for preferring Amazon's Video on Demand over iTunes is that if you buy a digital copy of the movie or tv show, you can stream it forever, from anywhere, but even the cheapest rentals and purchases can't beat $9 a month unlimited. The downside is the content is older.

My 2nd pick is still Amazon, because you can stream your rentals and purchases from anywhere on any pc - you just log in to your account. With iTunes, you have to download it and use up your drive space - a critical issue, with the iPad's limited resources. Also, movies from Amazon are much cheaper - they regularly have $5 specials on movies and $10-$15 tv seasons. I've seen some shows for $40 on iTunes that I bought for $14 on Amazon.

The sole benefit of iTunes is their sweetheart deal with the Disney group of companies, as content from them - like tv shows currently on ABC - isn't available elsewhere. On the music side, they seem no cheaper than Rhapsody. The iTunes app does keep playing in the background, which Rhapsody's doesn't do (yet).
  18. Blind

Blind iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love the streaming for Netflix. I don't have to be the first to see a movie upon release, so, I don't mind waiting. Nine dollars a month is cheap, and, as the competitors for market share increase I don't think it's going to stay that cheap for long.
  19. RobertBasil

RobertBasil iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Netflix will never offer "New Release" movies via streaming.

"For example, they know there’s a demand for new release DVDs, but they’re giving up that market to competitors so that they can focus on building the biggest back catalog of movies available for streaming"

The Future Of Netflix’s Business Laid Bare — By Netflix
  20. Wolffmann34

Wolffmann34 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It's strange no one mentions that for that same $9 a month you also get DVD's, it is effortless, granted I don't must my butt to watch them the day they show up, so I only get about 4 or 5 a month. But it beats the heck out of buying a movie and then you usually never watch it again anyhow.