What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed with netflix streaming selection

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really an iPad issue but I am disappointed in the selection of movies available for streaming. I signed up for netflix just to stream movies and tv shows on my iPad, but I find mostly older movies and tv shows. Is anyone else disappointed in the selection?

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was sort of disappointed at first, but then realized there was a great selection of indie and old movies available. I wish there were more selections available, but $9 a month is pretty cheap. Let's hope it continues to improve though.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I looked into getting it on my PS3 about 6 months ago. Looked at the movie selection, mostly old stuff and obscure movies. I want new movies.

BuayaGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't say that I expect NEW movies to be streamable - I'm sure there must be some licensing issues where only PPV is allowed to show movies soon after their theatrical runs.

I'm still a bit disappointed that a LOT of older movies aren't streamable either. I thought for $9, I would be able to watch tons of stuff. I hope they're adding more every day…

OP
M

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with Superbike81 I'd like to see "new DVD release" movies available (or even relatively new to DVD). If I have get a DVD to see the newer stuff, it kind of negates using the iPad, besides then I'd rather just rent from Redbox

mk1151

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a New Release section in the streaming category and they do have movies that just came out on DVD there - not the "blockbusters" like Avatar, and for good reason...

If they had those available, the servers and bandwidth required to suppoort the people that would want to stream it would be impossible to account for - they would have to setup scheduled timeslots for people to watch it just to make sure they could keep up with the demand.

I have Netflix streaming on the PS3, and my newer TV actually has an IP connection in with with a NetFlix app which is nice.

I'm fairly happy with it - you just have to have the right expectations...

OP
M

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a New Release section in the streaming category and they do have movies that just came out on DVD there - not the "blockbusters" like Avatar, and for good reason...

If they had those available, the servers and bandwidth required to suppoort the people that would want to stream it would be impossible to account for - they would have to setup scheduled timeslots for people to watch it just to make sure they could keep up with the demand.

I have Netflix streaming on the PS3, and my newer TV actually has an IP connection in with with a NetFlix app which is nice.

I'm fairly happy with it - you just have to have the right expectations...

Well they do have a New Release section but they do not have very many movies that "just came out on DVD"
Take a look at the DVD section and then the streaming section and you will see what I mean.
Maybe my expectations are too high, but Netflix doesn't meet them so i'll probably be cancelling

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PHP:
For the about .30 a day I'm very happy with what is available in bluray, DVD, and streaming. No complaints.

Last edited:

G.a.r.y

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I canceled mine, for me, nothing interested me. Also when I did watch something, it stopped often to catch up with the download. Four hours watching palam 123 and the volume was too low to easily hear it.

You tube is free.

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Youtube movies are not free. Sure, they may have some free ones, but many cost. Just thought I would clear that up.

alvraen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, buying it prepaid in three month increments at Best Buy is the best value. Saves you 4 dollars - I got it for 25.99

Gazuga6176

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just be patient, watch the few flicks that you do enjoy, and then let netflix make recommendations. You would be surprised at the gems they have available. Of course for new movies, you have to wait, or get them on DVD. But at least you have the choice.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not exactly Netflix's fault for their movie streaming selection. The major movie companies aren't going to let them stream all the new movies, because all their DVD sales would be down. I think it's still a good selection, I use it on my XBOX all the time, and especially with the TV Series available. And it's only $10 a month for unlimited streaming.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been a netflix member for quite sometime now and the streaming section has improved greatly since it started with more added at a steady pace. Memba movie companies wanna make money, not just let the whole world stream there movies right after DVD release. Good things come to those who wait. The tv show section alone is worth it 9 bucks a month for all those seasons. Love it! It's the app that pushed me to by the iPad.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its not exactly Netflix's fault for their movie streaming selection. The major movie companies aren't going to let them stream all the new movies, because all their DVD sales would be down. I think it's still a good selection, I use it on my XBOX all the time, and especially with the TV Series available. And it's only $10 a month for unlimited streaming.

That would make sense if, you know, the movie studios weren't letting other companies do it. Amazon's Video on Demand has tons of movies to stream on the day the DVD is released, and I think iTunes does as well. The real issue is contracts between the various companies, some of which have exclusive deals with the providers. That's why Amazon won't provide a app for ipods/ipads, it's why iTunes gets Disney movies when Amazon can't. I'd bet the contracts specify that Netflix can't stream new content before a certain period after release. That's the downside, but the upside is that it's a lot cheaper.

All that aside, I'm really hoping Amazon can be pushed into an app that allows streaming, at least; I've got about a terabyte of data I bought from them before I bought my iPad. And the service is just plain better than iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts