What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed right now with my new iPad.

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I discovered last night as I was booting up my new iPad 2 there are yellow tinting on the sides of the unit. I said to myself no way but then I decided to power down and power up again. Yup. Yellow tinting on the corners and just above menu button on screen. I read somewhere not to return it as chances are I won't be getting any replacement in a month. Should I call Apple about this issue then? What do I do?

:-(

Martinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so the yellow tint is n effect of glue that is not fully dried yet, it should loes the tint in a few weeks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I discovered last night as I was booting up my new iPad 2 there are yellow tinting on the sides of the unit. I said to myself no way but then I decided to power down and power up again. Yup. Yellow tinting on the corners and just above menu button on screen. I read somewhere not to return it as chances are I won't be getting any replacement in a month. Should I call Apple about this issue then? What do I do?

:-(

You'll have read elsewhere in the Forum that this is a known issue with some iPad2s. If you go to the News section, you can read Maura's report on this. It appears as though Apple have accepted that this is a problem that affects a number of iPad2s and are offering an exchange - no questions asked. As you rightly point out, given the current shortage of iPads you may find it difficult to exchange right now.

Elsewhere on the Forum - though I can't vouch for the accuracy of this informaion - you'll be able to return your iPad any time within the first year for a replacement for this fault.

It's also been noted by some members that the problem may be drying of the adhesive that's used to secure the screen and some users have reported the problem goes away after a while.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
You could go to an Apple Store, show them the issue with the yellow tinting. They will replace it.

Worst case scenario: they don't have the same model in stock and you have to wait. But you don't have to hand-in your current iPad 2 before you receive the replacement.

OP
Y

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just talked to Apple and I said I will wait for a few weeks to see if this thing goes away. If it doesn't then I will return it. I got a case number already.

KneeDragr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have 90 days, I would wait 60 days and then get one after they fixed the initial manufacturing problems.

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your title should be dissapointed with my unit... Not the ipad in general... Because you know what to do if you don't like the ipad overall...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
Y

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big samm said:
Your title should be dissapointed with my unit... Not the ipad in general... Because you know what to do if you don't like the ipad overall...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

My title says "Disappointed with "my" new iPad" not "Disappointed with "the" new iPad".

See the big difference? Let's stick with the topic, please.

Thank you.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I observed the same thing with the iPad 2 just bought. I only saw it because I was looking for it. It isn't that obvious. I have been watching it though and I don't know if it is just in my mind, but it seems to be getting less and less everyday so far. (Got it on Friday) I will keep watching because if it doesn't go away, I will return it. I am giving it about 2 weeks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to the iFixit teardown of the iPad2, where they take a brand new iPad2 apart, piece by piece, you'll see they comment that, unlike the iPad1 - where the screen was held in place by clips, the iPad2's screen is secured with thermo-setting adhesive. You'll have seen reports in this Forum that, in some cases, that adhesive has not yet 'cured' (dried), resulting in the problem.

I've not seen any recent updates on this speculation - perhaps it's an 'urban myth'?

Tim
Scotland

OP
Y

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple did tell me to give it about 2 weeks for it to completely dry up. I'll hang on to it till then. See what happens.

Most reactions

Latest posts