What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed New Apple Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
leelai said:
Great news for you, especially when others are now leaving disappointed. Would you mind saying what store you went to. It might make it easier for other members to know which stores will still do a courtesy replacement.

That's the thing though, it's not an every time thing with these courtesy repairs or services. I guess trying the same store does make sense though.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
That's the thing though, it's not an every time thing with these courtesy repairs or services. I guess trying the same store does make sense though.

Yes your right of course, but we can only try and hope they continue doing it.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Great news for you, especially when others are now leaving disappointed. Would you mind saying what store you went to. It might make it easier for other members to know which stores will still do a courtesy replacement.

The Apple Store in Bluewater, Kent.

They also replaced my headphones (sweat damaged) and charging cable (don't know how that got damaged) in less than 10 seconds last week. I swear I only explained the problem in about 3 sentences and the next thing you know, the shop assistant was opening boxes off the shelf and replacing my items. Easy. Great service I thought. He didn't even ask me for any details of purchase, he simply told me that he had to keep the boxes to send back the damaged goods to Apple. Loved it.

I found that politeness was the key to my success.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about Customer service and satisfaction, that's just brilliant service. Thanks for sharing that.

lialai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I want to share what has happened to me and see if anyone has any advise. I also want to mention that I had no expectations and just was going according to what I have heard from friend, family and this forum...

I dropped and cracked my ipad screen, soooooooooooo upset. However, I have friends and family who also dropped and cracked their ipads and were given free replacements no questions asked.
So after hearing that I made an appointment to an apple store but had to be about an hour late because I had to take my 4 month old to the doctor. As soon as I got there, the woman at check in was super rude and didnt want to help me, kept saying that I should come back another day or I may wind up waiting here all day if I decided to be on standby, mind you this is all while I have a 4 month old in a stroller with me and the store is not even busy - Tuesday 1pm). I reluctantly agreed to be on standby (since I do not live very close) and went to take a sit, at which point I spotted a supervisor and spoke to him about it, after a few minutes he came back saying I wouldn't have to wait more than an hour. I thanked him and patiently waited for two hours. Finally, I was approached by one of the geniuses and after speaking to me for about 30 secs he typed in my ipad info and said that the best he can do is offer me a replacement for $419 plus tax, I politely asked if that was the best he can do and he said yes, after asking a few more times he said the best he can do is $419 minus 10% off. I said no thank you and before I walked away he said "You can think about it, I will leave a note of my offer if you'd like so you can get it later, I said no thanks" and walked away. I even spoke to the supervisor and he said that if I try going to another store I may have better luck.

So today my husband went in to a store on 5th ave and was basically told that he is getting a free swap until they saw a note that they offered me a swap for $419 minus 10% off at the other store, at which point they said they can't do a free swap for him because of that note.

What the heck???? I am so upset.

Do you think if we go to another store we might still get lucky? Or no point to try anymore??? Has anyone heard of similar stories?

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your cracked iPad screen. If that happened to my beloved baby, I'd be upset, too.

But I do have to defend Apple here and say that they do not have a once in a lifetime free guarantee. It's a courtesy move by Apple. It is not a policy they advertise. From what I've heard, they give it to you if you walk in not expecting such a thing. It's a courtesy that they aren't obligated to give you. I know lots of Apple consumers have been lucky, but some haven't been lucky.

Based on your situation and the documentation of the first offer, you are probably out of luck. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try other stores.

-Lindsey

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How disappointing for you to be that close to a replacement and then to miss out. I'm surprised they had that note on file. If its at one store I would say its at every store now. I'd still give it a try if there's another store close to you. As Go Pack Go said you aren't entitled to a replacement, but there's also no harm in trying. Good luck!!

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
How disappointing for you to be that close to a replacement and then to miss out. I'm surprised they had that note on file. If its at one store I would say its at every store now. I'd still give it a try if there's another store close to you. As Go Pack Go said you aren't entitled to a replacement, but there's also no harm in trying. Good luck!!

Nobody will get replacements if people keep going on and on about it. Must remember to unsubscribe from this strand to keep my blood-pressure down.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kathryn4812 said:
Nobody will get replacements if people keep going on and on about it. Must remember to unsubscribe from this strand to keep my blood-pressure down.

I understand that you are upset about this, but members will continue to report their experiences and I will continue to acknowledge them and their distress.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not as angry as you but I also tend to agree with you - pretty soon they won't do the convenience at all if too many people walk into Apple stores with the attitude like they expect a free one.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
I'm not as angry as you but I also tend to agree with you - pretty soon they won't do the convenience at all if too many people walk into Apple stores with the attitude like they expect a free one.

Yes so true, I wonder how many are doing just that. Maybe the ones that get knocked back are those very ones. I think it better to play 'Clueless' and just upset that they have broken their ipads. I know that someone even showed them our Forum. I cringed at that!

OP
S

scotty236

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, well I made this thread a while ago as you know was struggling with getting a replacement.

GOOD NEWS my pregnant wife went into the store and managed to explain the accident to a GENIUS who offered her a straight replacement. Result.

It would appear that Apple do infact have great customer service, you may think, well he would say that. But after reading hundreds of threads I would say the key to success is persistence.

If any of you watched Derren Brown the experiments lately, you will understand people make their own luck through spotting an opportunity and taking it.

Thankyou for all you comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions