What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling Emoticons

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may add ... there is a way to disable smilies when using the app (well, for Tapatalk for sure, though I think it can be done with the IPF app, also).

You'll have to select the option to open the post in Safari. Then, at the bottom of the post, select "Go Advanced." At the bottom of the page, underneath where you'd input text, there is a line where you can disable smilies.

It's a bit of a workaround, but once you submit the post, you can hit the Back button to go back into the "regular" part of the app. It's how I had made the post for the bookmarklets (cause that thing would have been full of smilies!). And, since I do all my posting from the app - had to figure out something. :)

Hope this helps for the next time.

Marilyn

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's right, Marilyn, i keep forgetting that you can get to the safari version of IPF from the app. I don't use the app very much, but it certainly does work to get to the advanced settings.

Thank you for bridging the app to the web version. :)

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
If I may add ... there is a way to disable smilies when using the app (well, for Tapatalk for sure, though I think it can be done with the IPF app, also).

You'll have to select the option to open the post in Safari. Then, at the bottom of the post, select "Go Advanced." At the bottom of the page, underneath where you'd input text, there is a line where you can disable smilies.

It's a bit of a workaround, but once you submit the post, you can hit the Back button to go back into the "regular" part of the app. It's how I had made the post for the bookmarklets (cause that thing would have been full of smilies!). And, since I do all my posting from the app - had to figure out something. :)

Hope this helps for the next time.

Marilyn

Exactly where do you go to open the post in safari? I can't see anything about opening a post anywhere,let alone safari. Do you have a screenshot that would help?

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Exactly where do you go to open the post in safari? I can't see anything about opening a post anywhere,let alone safari. Do you have a screenshot that would help?

Never mind,I figured how to open the post in safari. I can have the post appear and work properly in the safari version of the post,but if I view it in the app version,the smilies appear.
Someone didn't think of the consequences of adding smilies in the current manner. Any text on the page that happens to match the HTML code for a smilie gets displayed as a smilie.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now the links I post in the safari version of the post read as straight text and are not active links. The link does,however,work in the app version of the post.
Here's a screenshot showing the inactive link.

image-3839533374.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts