What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling Emoticons

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to disable the emoticons so that they can't randomly appear if what you're typing happens to match the HTML code for a particular emoticon?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you referring to disable smiles in text as well? If so, you can do this advance settings when you reply to a PM.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Are you referring to disable smiles in text as well? If so, you can do this advance settings when you reply to a PM.

I made a post, not a reply to a PM, which included a picture. The photo credit link was disabled by a smiley that popped up in the middle of the link because part of the link( colon followed by a capital P) matched the HTML code for a particular smiley.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I made a post, not a reply to a PM, which included a picture. The photo credit link was disabled by a smiley that popped up in the middle of the link because part of the link( colon followed by a capital P) matched the HTML code for a particular smiley.

Did you try to go to advanced settings with your reply in your settings? See of you can disable the smileys from text there by editing your post.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Did you try to go to advanced settings with your reply in your settings? See of you can disable the smileys from text there by editing your post.

I tried that and the entire link disappeared from the post in the app,leaving an uncredited picture but the correct link appeared in the website version of the post.

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally found another link that worked properly without solving the original problem.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried that and the entire link disappeared from the post in the app,leaving an uncredited picture but the correct link appeared in the website version of the post.

Yes, I think that the forum using the browser will give you more advance options where the app is lacking.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Yes, I think that the forum using the browser will give you more advance options where the app is lacking.

Maybe the forum administrators could address this problem and provide an off switch for smileys and emoticons.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a workaround you can leave a space between elements of a smiley. There is a limit to what admin can do because the forum software is built by a separate company.

You might get more control if you download the forum runner app and run the forums from there. I don't know because I haven't done it. Also, tapatalk may help. I know some people here use it.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe the forum administrators could address this problem and provide an off switch for smileys and emoticons.

Smileys/emoticons will no longer work if you add a space to it. Like this : ) compared to this :) ... Hopefully you can see what I mean.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But his problem is if you add a space to avoid the smiley, the link wouldn't work.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But his problem is if you add a space to avoid the smiley, the link wouldn't work.

It's the workaround we are trying to give him if using the app, using the web browser will allow for the links to show.

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Smileys/emoticons will no longer work if you add a space to it. Like this : ) compared to this :) ... Hopefully you can see what I mean.

Thank's I'll try this workaround next time the problem arises.

Most reactions

Latest posts