What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DISABLING BOLD TYPE IN WRITIN E MAIL

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IN WRITING AN E MAIL, I ONLY GET BOLD TYPE IN THE MESSAGE.

HOW CAN I DISABLE THE BOLD TYPE?

THANK YOU

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually tapping one of these buttons (once) shoud help:
image.jpeg

OP
T

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response,but tapping those keys seems to have no effect on disabling the bold type. I would like Bold type to be an option not an irreversible default.

IS THERE ANYWAY AT ALL THIS CAN BE ACCIOMPLISHED IN WRITING E MAILS?

THANK YOU

TED S

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new Apple touch keyboard has BIU controls at the top right. If you don't see the new shortcut bar, there will be a small tab like line at the top of the keyboard. You can either flick this up (tricky) to reveal the shortcut bar, or dap and hold on the smily (or world) key and turn on Shortcuts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444091800.641596.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444091866.513847.jpg

You can also select text, then tap on it for the contextual menu, where you will see the BIU controls if applicable. The body of the email is the only place where you will see BIU controls.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444091884.415031.jpg

That said, there is no reason why Mail should default to Bold text. You should have to turn it on for each email you create or respond to. It's possible you've enabled an Accessibility feature that makes the text look bold, but it is actually normal and your recipient will see it that way.

Here are the two most likely culprits:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444091900.394461.jpg

OP
T

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new Apple touch keyboard has BIU controls at the top right. If you don't see the new shortcut bar, there will be a small tab like line at the top of the keyboard. You can either flick this up (tricky) to reveal the shortcut bar, or dap and hold on the smily (or world) key and turn on Shortcuts.

View attachment 68041

View attachment 68043

You can also select text, then tap on it for the contextual menu, where you will see the BIU controls if applicable. The body of the email is the only place where you will see BIU controls.

View attachment 68044

That said, there is no reason why Mail should default to Bold text. You should have to turn it on for each email you create or respond to. It's possible you've enabled an Accessibility feature that makes the text look bold, but it is actually normal and your recipient will see it that way.

Here are the two most likely culprits:

View attachment 68045

THANK YOU FOR YOUR THOROUGH RESPONSE.

I AM FAMILIAR WITH THESE FEATURES AND THEY WORK.

IT SEEMS THAT MY PROBLEM IS PERCEPTION. THE PREVIOUS REGULAR LIGHT TYPE NOW SEEMS BOLDER THAN BEFORE AND THE BOLD TYPE IS
DARKER.

AGAIN, THANKS.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. The new San Fransisco font is a bit heavier than the Helvetica Neue that was in iOS 8. Looks good in my opinion, but I'm hardly a font expert.

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, while writing in Google my space bar gone then I convert to 123445 num mode it appear then again ABC mode then I wrote more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange.

It's possible to have a keyboard without a spacebar, if the text entry field you are in does not permit spaces. Password or file names might do this.

Or it could just be a glitch.

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Only in Google chrome which I install recently and not all time but some times
9ccf00470c20450bba148fcd82226fe8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
T

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. The new San Fransisco font is a bit heavier than the Helvetica Neue that was in iOS 8. Looks good in my opinion, but I'm hardly a font expert.

YOU ARE RIGHT - OF COURSE.
THE NEW TYPE IS NOTICABLY BOLDER THAN THE OLD TYPE AND THE BOLD TYPE IS BOLDER STILL,

IT IS JUST MY NOT KNOWING ABOUT THIS CHANGE-UNTIL NOW -THAT LED TO MY CONFUSION.

THANKS AGAIN

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
YOU ARE RIGHT - OF COURSE.
THE NEW TYPE IS NOTICABLY BOLDER THAN THE OLD TYPE AND THE BOLD TYPE IS BOLDER STILL,

IT IS JUST MY NOT KNOWING ABOUT THIS CHANGE-UNTIL NOW -THAT LED TO MY CONFUSION.

THANKS AGAIN

One other thing, typing in caps is considered "shouting", and one should refrain from doing so if possible during any sort of electronic communication. ;)

OP
T

Theosp592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other thing, typing in caps is considered "shouting", and one should refrain from doing so if possible during any sort of electronic communication. ;)

Thank you for the electronic etiquette.

All caps are a force of habit since a number of my remaining friends have vision issues and the larger type is less of a strain to read.

However, I value your input and will try to be more selective although "shouting" is more appropriately expressed through choice of words and punctuation.

Most reactions