What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disable Wireless Securely

stev379

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the wireless be disabled and locked so a password is required to enable it again?

We have patients that we'd like to use iPads to track progress, but we don't want the devices to be online at all during that use.

Any help or creative suggestions or work-arounds are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can disable Safari and disable adding new email accounts and adding new apps - which, more or less, has the same effect - unless you're concerned about the actual radiated WiFi and 3G signals and the impact those might have on your measurements.

Tim

OP
S

stev379

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a step in the right direction, if not a solution. Part of the concern is security. We're a Federal institute and can't risk vulnerabilities. I haven't personally had much experience with iPads, so I'm not sure how much is at risk if only new email acct creation and Safari are disabled.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you disabled Safari, removed email accounts and disabled adding new ones, disabled the purchase and installation of new apps, then I can't see how anyone would be able to use the Internet - even if they had 3G and WiFi turned on. Hopefully other Members will come along with some comments and suggestions.....

Tim

OP
S

stev379

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim!
Excellent info!! Exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.
I'd like to think Apple will add a toggle for enabling\disabling all network access with one switch in the not too far future.

This should serve the purpose for the time being. If anyone has more suggestions please chime in!

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim!
Excellent info!! Exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.
I'd like to think Apple will add a toggle for enabling\disabling all network access with one switch in the not too far future.

This should serve the purpose for the time being. If anyone has more suggestions please chime in!

You can, of course, turn off wifi in Settings but as far as I know there is no way to password protect Settings, itself. (Unless I'm missing that.) In general, this is a weakness with both iOS and Android OS's where consumer access ease is clearly a higher priority than corporate (or government) security.

Frankly, I don't know why this isn't a higher priority given the mushrooming use of iPads (and smartphones as well) in organizational environments. It would seem simple enough to enable interposing a password when a user accesses either email or settings.

rainman4tech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wireless Security

Not to be short sighted but if you have a WiFi only iPad and no WiFi available the unit is isolated and cannot use any of the WiFi apps, no email, no web, no nothing. Even if you use an AP at your location for in house stuff if it is WAP secure and no one makes the SSID and password available the unit can't connect and will be in its own little world.
Did I miss something in the question?
Rainman

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not to be short sighted but if you have a WiFi only iPad and no WiFi available the unit is isolated and cannot use any of the WiFi apps, no email, no web, no nothing. Even if you use an AP at your location for in house stuff if it is WAP secure and no one makes the SSID and password available the unit can't connect and will be in its own little world.
Did I miss something in the question?
Rainman

Only that the iPad remembers passwords and setting for networks. If an authorized person connected to the network they would have to remember to Forget the network when they were done, or the next person would only need to turn Wi-Fi back on to reconnect; no password required.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not on a non jail broken iPad. If your wifi network is closed though - password or even better MAC Address protected - you are going to be safe from anyone who doesn't bring in their own personal hotspot.

-t

Most reactions