What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

disable auto fill or auto-complete for all apps

nickbt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I can disble the auto complete for Safari, all the other applications try to complete the words. IE youtube.
It is so annoying!
Is there a master config file to disable this auto-complete feature?
All thread related only mention Safari.

Thanks

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go into SETTINGS - GENERAL - Keyboard and turn off "Auto-Corrections". This seems to disable it on all my apps.

OP
N

nickbt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't believe it was that simple!!
Thanks for your help PocoBear

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go into SETTINGS - GENERAL - Keyboard and turn off "Auto-Corrections". This seems to disable it on all my apps.

It also disabled spell check when I did it.

Also is there a way to cursor back to the place where an error is located and correct it? Even when I make the font larger and use a stylus, the cursor will position itself at the end of a word and want you to delete the entire word, not just the one wrong letter in the middle. Once in awhile it will do it right, but not very often; and, I have not been able to figure out why that happens, either.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It also disabled spell check when I did it.

Also is there a way to cursor back to the place where an error is located and correct it? Even when I make the font larger and use a stylus, the cursor will position itself at the end of a word and want you to delete the entire word, not just the one wrong letter in the middle. Once in awhile it will do it right, but not very often; and, I have not been able to figure out why that happens, either.

I guess you probably know this, so please forgive me if you do......

If you press *and hold* the screen when you're in a document, a little 'magnifying glass' bubble will pop up and that makes it a whole lot easier to navigate to the error. If you position the cursor in the word, then you get the option to 'Select' (which just selects the word) or 'Select All'. If you place the cursor outside of a word, you don't get this. If a word is incorrectly spelt, placing the cursor at the end of the word causes 'pop up' suggestions to appear and you can simply tap one of those to have the word replaced with the chosen correctly spelt word.

As you've discovered, turning off 'Autocorrect' annoyingly also disables 'Spell Check' - no one seems to know why or have a work around.

On another, but related, note, if you have turned off 'Autocorrect' because it keeps annoyingly inserting irrelevant or inappropriate or incorrect replacements for words that it doesn't know about - perhaps technical terms that you use frequently in your work, there's a real neat workaround suggested by another Forum member.

Autocorrect checks your list of Contacts too and so doesn't flag as incorrectly spelt names and other contact details. So this member suggested that, if you have a range of technical terms that you frequently use and that autocorrect keeps on 'correcting', the solution is to simply put these technical terms into Contacts as 'spurious' contacts. Once they're in there, autocorrect will no longer try to correct them. Clever idea!!

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts