Disable animated gifs?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Luminous Dreamer, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Luminous Dreamer

Luminous Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi all... Is there a way to disable animated gifs on the iPad? I did an advanced search on here with different wording variables, and I didn't have any luck. Appreciate any input! Thanks!

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    You mean in Safari? No, nothing.

3. Luminous Dreamer

Luminous Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply, Twerppoet! Not what I wanted to hear. I enjoy a certain forum where the folks on there LOVE using VERY animated emoticons (gifs) in staggering excess. I find it incredibly distracting!! When I'm on my laptop, I view the forum through Internet Explorer where I can disable the animations...they don't disappear, they just, blissfully, don't freakin MOVE.

I prefer to use Safari on my laptop, and use it for everything else except this particular "emoticon-happy" place I visit. I think I can add some plug-in in safari to block gifs, but have never done it.

I really wish there was a way to do this on the iPad ... BUMMER... If anyone else knows a trick, I'd be very thankful.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    The iCab Mobile browser has more tweaks filters and plug-ins than any other third-party browser I know about. It might be possible to create your own filter to filter out gif files; but I'm not sure of that, or how well it would work.

That's all I've got. Sorry

5. Luminous Dreamer

Luminous Dreamer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just a quick thanks to twerppoet! ... the iCab Mobile enabled me to disable the animations! Thanks! While not a perfect solution (in that everything *disappears*, i.e., avatars, etc), it does make the emoticons inactive! It still baffles me why this can't be an easy thing to do (to disable animated gifs). Thanks again!

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    No problem. I'm glad it worked, even if not perfectly.