What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Directv app

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So in was wondering if they were gonna have one to control box and tv as a remote. So I googled it last night and they announced that they were but non date set yet. So ironically it was release today and I downloaded it....looks great but to use Remote control functionality requires receiver models HR20, HR21, R22, R23, HR24, and H21, H23, and H24. I have 6 hd boxes in my house and 4 of them are dvr's and only 1 of them is a HR24 which u can use as a remote my other 3 are HR22 which I can't use. What kinda crap is that!? Sorry just venting...so I emailed them about sending me a voucher for at least 1 newer hd dvr in place of one of my others so I can enjoy the luxury of the newer Directv customers! Lol $600 for 3 more newer dvr's is kinda silly if u ask me

Last edited:

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried it on the HR22's? The HR22 is just an HR21 with a larger hard drive. A receiver has to be connected to the internet for the app to work. Even if it is connected, you have to authorize it to work with the app.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried it on the HR22's? The HR22 is just an HR21 with a larger hard drive. A receiver has to be connected to the internet for the app to work. Even if it is connected, you have to authorize it to work with the app.

No but u can use the scheduler from the app on my droid for those receivers but u gotta put in the ip address for each receiver and have to be on your home network.....so they expect u to run Internet cables everywhere in your house to be able to use the receiver? I thought the receivers have wifi built in...the newer ones that is (HR24) if I understood the Directv rep on the phone a little bit ago

Edit: it does have a Ethernet port on the hr24... Weird that's kind far to run a Ethernet cable

Last edited:

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can obviously "use" the receiver without it being connected to the Net, but the iPad app can only directly communicate with devices connected to the Net.

No, DirecTV receivers don't have built-in WiFi. You either have to run cable or use USB dongles.

I assume the Droid scheduler you're talking about is the DirecTV Android app. If so, that one doesn't directly connect to a receiver. The app connects to DirecTV servers. When you schedule a recording with the app, the servers send down a signal from the satellite to schedule the recording.

With so many receivers you might want to look into DirecTV's new "Whole Home" service. It wires all of your receivers together. You can record on any receiver and watch that recording on any other receiver. Start playing a recording in the living room, pause it, then finish playing it on a tv in the bedroom.

DIRECTV: Whole-Home DVR service

The best place to get good DirecTV info: DBSTalk.Com - Your one stop place for Satellite News, Talk & Information!

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can obviously "use" the receiver without it being connected to the Net, but the iPad app can only directly communicate with devices connected to the Net.

No, DirecTV receivers don't have built-in WiFi. You either have to run cable or use USB dongles.

I assume the Droid scheduler you're talking about is the DirecTV Android app. If so, that one doesn't directly connect to a receiver. The app connects to DirecTV servers. When you schedule a recording with the app, the servers send down a signal from the satellite to schedule the recording.

With so many receivers you might want to look into DirecTV's new "Whole Home" service. It wires all of your receivers together. You can record on any receiver and watch that recording on any other receiver. Start playing a
recording in the living room, pause it, then finish playing it on a tv in the bedroom.

DIRECTV: Whole-Home DVR service

The best place to get good DirecTV info: DBSTalk.Com - Your one stop place for Satellite News, Talk & Information!

Thanks! I look into it

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Directv actually told me about these wireless adapters that hook to your hd dvr.....1 per receiver so it could get expensive depending on how many receivers u wanna control as a remote etc with your iPad

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WET610N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B001QVQ7JU]Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WET610N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter: Electronics[/ame]

Buy.com - Cisco Linksys WGA600N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter - "Linksys Certified Refurbished Product"

The whole home dvr wouldn't do anything for me they said since I have 6 boxes and 4 dvr's already in the rooms that I really wanted the dvr's in

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are much cheaper USB wireless adapters available. Here's one for $30

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/AWUS036H-Wireless-Adapter-Network-Antenna/dp/B000QYGNKQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298933591&sr=1-8]Amazon.com: Alfa 500mW AWUS036H USB Wireless Adapter 802.11 b/g Network Radio Card. Includes 2dBi Omni Antenna: Video Games[/ame]

You can find even cheaper ones on eBay. If you have a Fry's nearby they often have cheap ones.

With as many units as you have, I would just buy one first and make sure it does what you want before you buy a boatload.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Coxner said:
There are much cheaper USB wireless adapters available. Here's one for $30

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/AWUS036H-Wireless-Adapter-Network-Antenna/dp/B000QYGNKQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298933591&sr=1-8

You can find even cheaper ones on eBay. If you have a Fry's nearby they often have cheap ones.

With as many units as you have, I would just buy one first and make sure it does what you want before you buy a boatload.

Cool thanks alot....Naw jus best buy, hh gregg, radio Shack Walmart, target etc. So the one u posted goes to the back of the box via usb? Vs the one I posted that's ethernet? Or the 2 I linked may even be usb

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The one I posted is USB. The one you posted is ethernet. I think all of your DirecTV receivers have USB ports, so that's the cheapest and easiest way to go.

Here's a USB adapter for $8. Tenda 11N 150M Wireless USB LAN Adapter, Support Soft AP It should do everything you want. Give one a try and the worst that can happen is that you have to return an $8 item.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Coxner said:
The one I posted is USB. The one you posted is ethernet. I think all of your DirecTV receivers have USB ports, so that's the cheapest and easiest way to go.

Here's a USB adapter for $8. Tenda 11N 150M Wireless USB LAN Adapter, Support Soft AP It should do everything you want. Give one a try and the worst that can happen is that you have to return an $8 item.

The guys over at dbstalk forum say the usb adapters wont work on the receivers....they say most of them have there's receivers hooked up via the links I posed earlier or by DECA? Not sure what that means yet, trying to find out now..I appreciate u trying to help me come up with some stuff

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried this app out tonight and it's very responsive. More responsive than the regular DTV remote, actually. I could see this app being very handy.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if I led you the wrong way with the USB adapters. I have my DirecTV receiver connected via ethernet, so I don't have direct experience with dongles for it. Personally, I would probably at least take a shot on an $8 one even if the odds were low of success. If it does work you save a bundle.

DBSTalk is the gold standard for info on sat tv, both Dish and DirecTV.

Here's the basic scoop on DECA: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=170910

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Coxner said:
Sorry if I led you the wrong way with the USB adapters. I have my DirecTV receiver connected via ethernet, so I don't have direct experience with dongles for it. Personally, I would probably at least take a shot on an $8 one even if the odds were low of success. If it does work you save a bundle.

DBSTalk is the gold standard for info on sat tv, both Dish and DirecTV.

Here's the basic scoop on DECA: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=170910

No biggie, it's the only way we learn these things....i'll figure something out and read up on this deca stuff...thanks

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gatecitycanes said:
I tried this app out tonight and it's very responsive. More responsive than the regular DTV remote, actually. I could see this app being very handy.

How is your dvr hooked to your network? Ethernet cable?

Most reactions

Latest posts