What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Director DJ Caruso Says the iPad Played an Integral Part in the Making of his Latest

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
IAmNumberFour.JPG

JSYK.com has an absolutely fascinating report today about an interview at the Apple store in Soho, NYC, with I Am Number Four (out in theatres this week) director DJ Caruso. Caruso told JSYK.com about the integral part played by the iPad in the making of the film.

“I got it, I don’t want to say as a toy, but then I realized about a week into prep that my storyboards were coming on it, my previs was on it, my script was on it, I don’t carry my script anymore. I started getting emails from two of my storyboard artist who work in Los Angeles and I have this application where I can mark up the boards – I’m a terrible drawer – and I can mark up the boards and send them back. It just became this amazing production tool.â€

Caruso went on to say how the iPad helped with the creation of one of the key aspects of the film. When Alex Pettyfer’s character, John Smith, is shown on screen using his alien power to control light with his hands, the effect was created by a light rig set up in the actor's jacket, and activated by an iPad off screen.

Caruso also said that many of the actors in the film, such as Glee’s Dianna Agron, and Callan McAuliffe, also got iPads (this was back in July 2010, not too long after the iPad’s release) to use in their down time between takes. He reveals that Steven Spielberg also has one, and the two were trading app recommendations back and forth!

“It’s just become part of our cinematic culture. It really is an amazing tool. It’s amazing,†Caruso told JSYK.com. “I never thought I’d say that, I thought it would be cool to get one, but I don’t even carry my script anymore. All I carry is my iPad.â€

Source: JSYK.com - Exclusive: 'I Am Number Four' Director DJ Caruso Talks About Movie Making With iPads

Most reactions

Latest posts