What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dippy Den

Dippy Den

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello my name is Dippy Den from the North!! I am unfortunately living up to my name of Dippy!! I have had my ipad for almost 2 years but now need all your expertise help....:p

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to welcome you to the iPad Forums, an amazing online community in which iPad users alike from all walks of life come together to discuss the very piece of technology this website is name after, iPad. We hope you enjoy the forum.

We ask that you read and abide by the iPadForums rules.
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html
Check out the iPF app.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
I recommend subscribing to the iPF news feed.
Apple iPad News
For all your iPad FAQ.
iPad FAQ
iPad reviews are all right here.
iPad Reviews
How to create posts and new threads:
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html

Once again, we are so pleased you have joined us!

Goofy8275 - User of iPadForums

OP
D

Dippy Den

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome.... I will hopefully plough through the items you ave specified for me to read...

OP
D

Dippy Den

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I have made a real mess with syncing...
Husband bought a Mac, registering in his name.
I bought an iPad 2 and synced to iTunes using his info.
He has now bought an iPad 3 and unknown to me has synced his to iTunes using his info.
All his bought apps and mine are now on 1 account on iTunes.
We have opened a new account but can't seem to separate and transfer the different owned apps.
Will we have to go to an Apple shop to rectify this problem?

OP
D

Dippy Den

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh dear I seem to have jumped the gun with placing my question here!!!! Will look at the new thread you mentioned Goofy...

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
wow sounds like dividend you must be loaded and welcome btw :D

MODERATOR NOTE: Your contribution about someone being "loaded" adds nothing to a forum dedicated to introduction by and assistance to new members. Politeness please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I have made a real mess with syncing...
Husband bought a Mac, registering in his name.
I bought an iPad 2 and synced to iTunes using his info.
He has now bought an iPad 3 and unknown to me has synced his to iTunes using his info.
All his bought apps and mine are now on 1 account on iTunes.
We have opened a new account but can't seem to separate and transfer the different owned apps.
Will we have to go to an Apple shop to rectify this problem?

No, you're fine. And, to be honest, I don't see why you would want to separate the accounts. If you each have a different account, you'll end up paying twice for the same app (should you decide you want what the other has). If you use the same Apple ID in the App Store for all your purchases, you and your husband can use the app - thus only paying once for it. It's well within the rules and Apple's EULA agreement.

You can use iTunes to ensure you only have the apps on each iPad that you wish. iTunes will know which iPad is connected and what apps is on each.

Oh, and you can't merge accounts, so that's why that new account won't let you separate out the apps. Again, my recommendation is to pick one Apple ID to use at the store and both of you use it.

Marilyn

OP
D

Dippy Den

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you're fine. And, to be honest, I don't see why you would want to separate the accounts. If you each have a different account, you'll end up paying twice for the same app (should you decide you want what the other has). If you use the same Apple ID in the App Store for all your purchases, you and your husband can use the app - thus only paying once for it. It's well within the rules and Apple's EULA agreement.

You can use iTunes to ensure you only have the apps on each iPad that you wish. iTunes will know which iPad is connected and what apps is on each.

Oh, and you can't merge accounts, so that's why that new account won't let you separate out the apps. Again, my recommendation is to pick one Apple ID to use at the store and both of you use it.

Marilyn

Thanks Mickey
It's useful to know that we only need one account. Are you able to explain in simple terms how iTunes will know which apps are allocated to which iPad????
Living up to my Dippy Den title again...
Denise

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mickey
It's useful to know that we only need one account. Are you able to explain in simple terms how iTunes will know which apps are allocated to which iPad????
Living up to my Dippy Den title again...
Denise

You're Doin fine - not "dippy" at all! :) It's a good question...

First, iTunes keeps your iPads separate by it's UDID (or serial number). Or some other number - but it doesn't matter because it used some number to keep the iPads separate. So, you can have two iPad that you've named the same and iTunes will still know the difference. The actual naming of the iPad you do is solely for YOUR convenience, so you can tell between "Dippy's iPad" and "Dippy's Husband's iPad." So far, I've never had iTunes not know which one is attached (and I maintain 4 iPads with my iTunes)...

Now, to allocation.

When you first connect your iPad to iTunes, the first thing you want to do is right click (on the iPad tab) and select "Transfer Purchases." That'll tell iTunes of any downloads (to that iPad) you've made since the last time you connected the iPad to iTunes. This'll Make it so iTunes knows 100% what's on that iPad. I recommend making this a habit every time you connect either iPad.

Then, with the iPad connected, go to the Apps tab (across the top of the iTunes page, on the right). There you will see a list of all the apps in iTunes. In the column, on the right, you should see a button that reads either "Remove" or "Install." The ones installed on that iPad will be already ID'd by iTunes (they're the ones that read "Remove").

If you want to put an app on that particular iPad, click on one of the "Install" buttons and see how it changes to "Will Install." Once you have finished selecting the app(s) you want to put on that iPad, you can click the "Apply" button in the lower right of that Apps page. iTunes will then put those apps on that iPad. You can also do the same process in reverse to remove an app from that iPad (by clicking the Remove button and then clicking the "Apply" button).

iTunes is very good at keeping the iPads and their data/info separate. I hope this reassures (and didn't make the mud thicker!). :)

Marilyn

OP
D

Dippy Den

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes yes yes....... thank you very much for all your info. I now have 2 iPads on the same account and as you say, it knows, by whatever means, which is mine and which is the grumpy old man's .......

Now I can sleep easy and drop the 'Dippy'!

Thanks......

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

So glad you now have your issue sorted with Marilyn's great advice.
If you do really want to drop the Dippy, let me know by PM (private message) and I will arrange this for you.

3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html

Enjoy!

Most reactions

Latest posts