What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital photograpy

biometrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app or a way to directly transfer and edit digital photographs taken from let's say a nikon d70 slr to an ipad2 w/o using iTunes?

Also, say I have loaded thousands of digital pics to the iPad? Is there an app that I can get to edit the photo on the iPad? Functions like sorting, deleting, looking for duos, etc...

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you first need to get your images into the iPad either by a direct connection to the docking station or by using the storage card in your camera (not sure of the type your camera uses?) - my digital cameras have standard SD cards and I prefer to remove them from the camera and plug into the 'camera connection kit' shown below; then you can select the images to import.

Regarding image manipulation, storage, and sorting, the two inexpensive apps that I've put on the iPad are Photogene & Photo-sort - these can be reviewed in the Apple iPad store, if your interested; of course, there are other options and others will likely 'chime in' regarding their preferences. Good luck in your choice(s) - :)

31DSsNm-kvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

avwh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's also Photosmith, if you're already using Lightroom:

"The photographer’s workflow just became easier. There’s no need to haul a computer into the field when an iPad with Photosmith will do everything you need. There’s no duplicated effort in organizing and tagging pictures, and it’s all done using a simple interface.

Now photographers can take their pictures in the field, download them to the iPad, and use Photosmith to review their images, add to custom collections, filter by certain criteria, assign metadata, and filter by that data. Photosmith also fills a critical gap in the photographer’s current mobile workflow- allowing full 1:1 zoom of even 21 megapixel RAW images.

Most importantly, all this data can be synchronized with Adobe’s Lightroom. Instead of duplicating efforts or trying to import through iTunes, Photosmith syncs directly to Lightroom on Windows or Mac using the Photosmith Lightroom Plugin. All photos (RAW or JPG) and all metadata is transferred over wirelessly. In addition, photos can be sent to Facebook, Flickr, Dropbox, or email; and when supported, all keywords and captions are sent as well."

I can't give you the link b/c I don't have enough posts, but do a search....

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Photosmith and Photogene. Photogene is great for photo editing, the best app IMO for editing and it's not very expensive, definitely worth it. Photosmith is nice for sorting pictures if you use Lightroom, for right now you can only sync pictures from the iPad to lightroom but the developers are working to be able to sync pictures from lightroom to the iPad. Once that feature is added to Photosmith it'll give you the ability to add pictures from a computer to the iPad without going through iTunes, assuming you use lightroom that is...

OP
B

biometrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photosmith look promising... Thanks for the info... And I did check the attachment for the storage card ... Thanks

crys71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way or an app that allows me to work with my photos without reducing the photo quality.

I transfer my photos using Dropbox which seems to maintain the file size, but after editing, and uploading the pictures the file size goes from roughly 4MB to 300KB. This means I can't enlarge pictures when I send them for printing because the pixels are reduced. It seems that app like Photoshop reduce the file size. I love editing on my iPad. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Most reactions

Latest posts