What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difficulty in Turning Pages

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That isn't normal. I have several friends with Ipads plus we have 2 and none have any issues with moving from screen to screen and one of my friend's is very very dirty, greasy with fingerprints. If you live near enough to an Apple store check with them or call Apple support. You should not have problems that you notice at all with the touch screen. The only one I have ever seen that didn't move smoothly, now that I think about it, was a demo model at Best Buy that was used constantly and who knows what was done with and to it LOL.

Hope you get it resolved.

Diane

Thanks, Diane - I didn't think it was normal. I will take the iPads by the nearest Apple store.

One thing though. We have two iPads, both purchased for Christmas, both brand new, and BOTH of them have this problem. What are the odds of that? This leads me to think maybe it isn't the iPads - maybe it's me.

How do I call Apple support? Do you have the number?

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't really need to swipe to turn the ho e pages if you notice the little dots right above the home dock. If you tap either to the left or the right of the dots you can change the page in that specific direction maybe that would be easier for you to turn instead of a big long swipe? And it does not take a big or fast swipe to turn maybe its your swiping "form" lol. My sister had the same problem but the were just being to dramatic with the swipe. Just a thought.

But yes to the apple store I would go if I were you : )

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't really need to swipe to turn the ho e pages if you notice the little dots right above the home dock. If you tap either to the left or the right of the dots you can change the page in that specific direction maybe that would be easier for you to turn instead of a big long swipe? And it does not take a big or fast swipe to turn maybe its your swiping "form" lol. My sister had the same problem but the were just being to dramatic with the swipe. Just a thought.

But yes to the apple store I would go if I were you : )

Further experimentation has me thinking you are right. I think it's just me, not the iPad. My wife points out that if I just flick the tip of my finger, it will always work. Almost all the time, it does. I have been swiping with three fingers in a rather aggressive manner. Based on your comments, I think that may be the culprit.

Also - what are the odds of TWO iPads coming up with the same bug or problem? As I mentioned, we have two of them, both brand new, and I noticed the swiping problem on both of them. That tells me it's probably me, rather than the iPads.

Our Apple store is in Old Town, Pasadena. Ever tried to park your car in Old Town Pasadena? It's worse than downtown L.A.

Thanks so much for taking the time to add your thoughts.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do think its the aggressive swiping. I tried with three fingers and it didn't always move easily. Also a 3 finger gesture is used with the accessibility turned on in settings for sight impaired zooming so that may affect your movement. I recommend one finger placed relatively lightly anywhere on your desktop that's not ON a folder or icon and just move that finger to the left or right without taking it off the screen and "feel"/see it move under your finger.

For support, check the Ipad User Guide, last entry in ypur Safari bookmarks and look under tips and support.

Diane

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If a dirty screen is the problem you must be flicking with chocolate on your fingers...

No amount of fingerprints should prevent the screen from working correctly. If you touch the screen between icons in the center,hold down, and drag to the left so that a count of three takes for finger to the edge does the screen "follow" your finger? If it doesn't you should take it to the Apple store for a replacement.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are two iPads in your house and neither of them is working properly for you. What happens when your wife or another person uses them? Surely that is the acid test.

A few days after I got my iPad I became convinced there was something wrong with the screen because I couldn't move an icon from one home screen to another. I came to realise it was just me using the wrong technique.

PS Don't be scrubbin' your screen no more.

Last edited:

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad we could come to resolve this issue. It's actually a very common thing especially if you are not use to the OS it's natural to want to swipe that way! GLAD your iPad isn't broken!

dar512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further experimentation has me thinking you are right. I think it's just me, not the iPad. My wife points out that if I just flick the tip of my finger, it will always work. Almost all the time, it does. I have been swiping with three fingers in a rather aggressive manner. Based on your comments, I think that may be the culprit.
Ahhhhhh. There's your problem. The iPad has a whole set of gestures and differentiates between one, two, and three fingered taps and swipes.

Try just using the index finger.

Don't use the middle finger. We'll know. :D

CougGal80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
touch screen not responding

Thanks PocoBear~I've had my iPad nearly a year and today was the first time I had any issue. When in Google or Bing on Safari, I could enter information in the url bar, but the rest of the screen was gray and didn't respond to touch. I turned the iPad on and off, left the search engine and went to other apps where the screen worked fine. I got to my laptop and searched for help. Nothing. Then I came across your instructions for a soft reset, held the home button and power buttons for about 10 seconds until I saw the Apple and then waited "patiently" for a minute or two until I saw the home screen again. Finally I went back to Google via Safari and all was well. Thank you!!! !:)

Most reactions