What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difficulty in Turning Pages

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything worked fine for a week or so. Now, all of a sudden, on BOTH of our new iPads, we (the wife and I) are experiencing extreme difficulty in turning the pages. I have to flick the main screen anywhere from half a dozen to twelve or so times in order to get it to move over one screen to the right or the left.

I don't think that's normal. What's up?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My mother-in-law has developed what I call the "big flick syndrome", whereby she has started to flick from the black border off the screen. This does not work very well! Are you sure you have not started to develop something similar? You actually just need a really "small" flick on the screen to turn pages.
Hope that maybe helps!

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mother-in-law has developed what I call the "big flick syndrome", whereby she has started to flick from the black border off the screen. This does not work very well! Are you sure you have not started to develop something similar? You actually just need a really "small" flick on the screen to turn pages.
Hope that maybe helps!

I don't think that's it. I flick from the left center if I want to go that way, or right center if vice versa. I keep the screen clean, so I don't think that's the problem either.

It's funny, sometimes it works just fine. Other times, I have to keep at it in order to get it to move.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a soft-reset. Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices.

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a soft-reset. Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices.

Thanks. Tried it. Didn't help - I still have to make four or five passes at a page before it will turn. Once I can get one page to turn, then it seems to "click in," and I can go back and forth between pages (I have four at present) with no difficulty.

But when I first try to turn pages, it just sits there.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although the screens are supposed to be "oleophobic" (resists oil), if you turn the pages in pretty much the same place each time, it might be that the screen has just accumulated enough "stuff" from the oils in your skin and it might be time to clean the screen.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other things to consider.

You can damage the touch screen interface using chemical solvents to clean the iPad. Do you use any thing but a very lightly dampened cloth with water? Please say you don't.

What App are you talking about? Is it an App that has a option to change the interface for page turns that you might have accidentally switched?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this in Ibooks or what app? You might try installing a different ereading app and see how they go. I've had my Ipad since May and my husband since August wnd all of our reading apps turn pages easily. Have Ibooks which I rarely if almost never use, Kindle, Nook, Stanza, Overdrive and Bluefire for library books. Some apps turn pages differently. For most of the readers I don't have to flick but simply touch either side.

In Goodreader you slightly flick the pdf docs but just barely. Its more a case of a bit of nudge from side. I haven't really heard of this issue before. Are y ou close enough to an Apple store to run it by them?

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - I probably shouldn't have been referring to them as "pages." This isn't in any app. This is what I call the "Home screen," when you first turn the iPad on. You know, the one that has I think six icons on it when you first buy the iPad. The screen on the left is the keyboard and on the right is whatever you want to put there. I think there are up to 11 "home screens" if you want to fill them all with icons.

I do clean the screen regularly, with the a dry, black cloth that came with the standard, Apple case I purchased separately for my iPad. I know not to use solvents or anything that gets sprayed out of a can or bottle.

I don't know - have any of you experienced anything like this yourselves? Maybe it's just the way I flick the screens. I think I'm doing it properly.

Another thing - once I get the screens "going," there is no problem. I can go from one to the other with the slightest flick of the finger, no delays or halting whatsoever. It's just getting that screen to move the FIRST time that can be a problem. And even then, it doesn't always hang up. About half the time, it works fine.

I don't know. I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with my iPad.

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The more I mess with this, the more I am becoming convinced it is a function of a dirty screen. I try to keep it as clean as I can. However, if I really give it a good rub down with the dry cloth, I can move from screen to screen every time. Hope that's all it is.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a screen protector on iPad and clean it a couple of times a day with a dry microfiber cloth. I never have had this problem, so I suspect that is the issue.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I paid attention to how I move from desktop to desktop2 (I had quite a number of pages prior to 4.2.1). I just put my finger in the middle of the page or somewhere on the page, not on a folder or icon, and just move it "under" my hand back and forth. i don't use the side of the page at all. It just flows under my hand as I move my finger back and forth. Hard to describe but just effortless to do but its quite natural for me to just touch the page anywhere and move the page and I can slowly move it either direction if I want. I don't have a screen cover on it, do wipe it several times a day but sometimes there are lots of fingerprints. They've never affected my touch screen that I can tell.

Do you have icons or folders in the second page? I can only move the pages that have folders or icons. Try placing your finger in the desktop between the icons/folders and just move it left and right with your finger, without taking your finger off the screen. I just tried my husband's and it works the same. Really easy to move. I start the move from 1 to 2 with my finger in the middle of the screen and as it moves more to the left it has enough momentum I lift my finger as it moves. Maybe you are trying too hard.

Diane

Last edited:
OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your comments. I only know that if I scrub the glass down good with my cloth, it will always work on the first attempt after that. But after I move from screen to screen just a couple of times, it starts to hang up again, and I have to clean the screen again.

I am tired of this. It is not only bothersome, but it interferes with my potato chip snacking, which I like to do while working with the iPad.

(Just KIDDING!)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That isn't normal. I have several friends with Ipads plus we have 2 and none have any issues with moving from screen to screen and one of my friend's is very very dirty, greasy with fingerprints. If you live near enough to an Apple store check with them or call Apple support. You should not have problems that you notice at all with the touch screen. The only one I have ever seen that didn't move smoothly, now that I think about it, was a demo model at Best Buy that was used constantly and who knows what was done with and to it LOL.

Hope you get it resolved.

Diane

Most reactions

Latest posts