What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences between Linux and Windows Server

Xarzu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been studying a web site that uses ASP.NET and so it resides on a Windows Server but it also uses some JScript so it is worth studying. Anyway, I am moving it to a Linux server and I have noticed some differences in the way it handles files. First of all, the Windows Server is not case sensitive. But I also noticed something else. It seems that the Windows Server can have file names with spaces in them like this: "Creative%20Design%20vert_S" where the "%20" is a space. But, when I try to upload this directory to the Linux server using FileZilla it does not seem to work. And then when I try to create the directory, I get an error "Forbidden command argument". So is using %20 in a direcory name illegal in Linux?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't help much, but I do know that if you want to include spaces in a linux file name you have to place the entire name in quotes. The %20 trick does not work.

There are probably migration assistants that will do some of this automatically for you. Best place to look would be on a linux support forum.

Most reactions

Latest posts