What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between iPad 2 and iPad 1?

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not much of a tech-y but what is the difference between iPad 2 and iPad? I am a happy camper with my iPad, but there are now iPad 2 and iPad3? Is it worth the investment to "upgrade", so to say, to another iPad (i.e. getting iPad2/3) ?

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are thinking of upgrading, it is worth waiting for the iPad 3, even though we are not sure what the upgrades will be. I upgraded to the iPad 2 even though I still loved my iPad 1! I have no regrets but I suspect the iPad 3 will be even better....better camera for a start.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with michali. Wait for the 3. The display on the iPad 3 is supposedly much clearer compared to the iPad 2 in the level of 2x2 or 3x3 pixels. In the big picture, unless you're running extremely high-res Blu-Ray videos, you won't notice any difference in terms of display. The 3 is a bit thicker than the 2, but the 3 is Siri readily available, whereas the 2 isn't. Aside from display resolution and Siri, there isn't much of a difference. Same screen size, same cost. If you're not AS tech savvy, wait for the 3 to get a bit more savvy. If you really don't care, go for the 2. However, if you're looking for the 3G model, wait for the 3 if you want to get your feet wet with iPad.

HowBoutThemPack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
willerz2 said:
I agree with michali. Wait for the 3. The display on the iPad 3 is supposedly much clearer compared to the iPad 2 in the level of 2x2 or 3x3 pixels. In the big picture, unless you're running extremely high-res Blu-Ray videos, you won't notice any difference in terms of display. The 3 is a bit thicker than the 2, but the 3 is Siri readily available, whereas the 2 isn't. Aside from display resolution and Siri, there isn't much of a difference. Same screen size, same cost. If you're not AS tech savvy, wait for the 3 to get a bit more savvy. If you really don't care, go for the 2. However, if you're looking for the 3G model, wait for the 3 if you want to get your feet wet with iPad.

No one knows the dimensions or specs of the 3 yet. It's all speculation right now.

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

helenhews

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
aviationdegreeus.com
Difference Between iPad and iPad 2

(1) iPad 2 comes up with higher performance processor and RAM. New A5 processor’s clock speed is twice as faster than A4 and 9 times better on graphics while the power consumption remains same.
(2) iPad 2 is equipped with 2 cameras one in front and other in rear.
(3) iPad 2 come with new Apple iOS 4.3 which has some feature improvement and better browser performance.
(4) iPad 2 is 33% thinner and 15% lighter than iPad.
(6) iPad 2 gives an extremely good multi media experience.
(7) iOS 4.3 introduce two applications, enhanced iMovie and GarageBand. And mail client specially for gmail
(8) iPad 2 support Bluetooth tethering while iPad does not.

tasker15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for me the main difference is the ability to mirror a video output display. the iphone 4 and iphone 4s had this change as well. I really want to upgrade both of my devices.. ipad 1 and iphone 4 to the new ones so I can hook them up to a projector but its a big investment.

elija098

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The features of Ipad1 and Ipad2 are most likely the same. Check out the latest Ipad, its cool. Then its up to you to decide if you still want to keep the old ipad that you have or you can trade in your ipad. There are heaps of websites where you can check out free quotes.

[Moderator edit: Removed link to business web site - not relevant to conversation. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad vs iPad2 vs iPad3

iPad2 has cameras, iPad does not. iPad3 is rumored to have better resolution cameras, a good thing as those on the iPad2 are terrible.

iPad2 has a processor greatly faster than that on iPad. Rumored to be yet faster on the iPad3.

iPad and iPad2 have same screen resolution. iPad3 is rumored to have much better "retina display" like the iPhone 4 has.

Bear in mind that any information at all about the iPad3 is speculation and rumor. I had the iPad first and gifted it to one of my daughters when I upgraded to the iPad2. I'll probably do that again (I have three daughters) in March when the iPad3 comes out.

AGPAD82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my opinion, if you don't by yet, just wait until new iPad unveiled so can choose, also ipad2 will be lease expensive

OP
G

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, your opinions are helpful! Though, the release date for iPad 3 is still in the air, isn't it?

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if you're trying to decide now and your needs are not high graphics, if you can find a used or leftover iPad 1, you'd like it lots. I happen to have both. I just got the 2. I do see a speed difference, but it's not like I think it's light years faster. I have been perfectly happy with my 1, but as I've been having a bit of a crappy time, my lovely honey surprised me with a 2 yesterday. (yes, I have a nice honey!). He's been offering to get me the 2 from day one and I kept saying no, no, no, because really, the 1 still beyond rocks and I continue to use it all the time. Well, lovely hubby decided to override me and got me the 2, and I confess, I'm still keeping my 1 because I just can't part with it, but I am enjoying the 2 already. Huge difference? No, not on an HUGE scale, but yeah, I notice the slim profile and faster browsing, but the browser on the 1 I find perfectly fine still. I haven't tried to open pdfs and the like yet to see the speed difference there. I would have continued to been fine with the 1, and probably gotten a 2 maybe when the 3 came out, or gotten the 3 like several months later, or maybe still just kept the 1 until the battery or software upgrade ability went. And who knows when the 3 will be released-sometime this year and in the next few months is logical. But heck, of course I can't say I mind having a 2...

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 crashes on iOS 5 more frequently than my iPad 2. My diagnostics logs on both show RAM crashes, more often on iPad 1, because it has half the RAM of iPad 2.

I still like my iPad 1, but wouldn't recommend getting one now. If I were shopping for an iPad now, I'd hold off and get an iPad 3, because it will likely get firmware upgrades longer than iPad 1 or 2; it would have higher resale value (if that's a consideration); and it will hopefully have more bloody RAM.

From what we've seen with iOS 5, further upgrades might give iPad 1 (and maybe iPad 2) the fits over RAM.

Of course, the individual buyer knows best what his needs and budget are.

iPad 2 has already been discounted by some retailers, and that will spread once iPad 3 is announced.

OP
G

georgeacosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, thank you for your opinions! I've decided to wait it out to see what the differences are in the iPad 3. I'm going to actually get a protective covering for my iPad. Does anybody know any decent screen protectors? I've looked at a few from Amazon like ArmorSuit's screen protectors. Do you guys know anything? Thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts