What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the latest Update affect sound?

Lulubird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently did the update and have just realized I now have no sound at all. I've checked the settings and they seem okay. There is no sound for email alerts or sending mail and worse of all no sound from videos. I know I'm weird but I don't play music from the music icon so didn't realize this till today when I tried to look at a video with sound. I always raise the sound with the toggle at the side and keep it off when not needing it. Any ideas of what has happened?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I recently did the update and have just realized I now have no sound at all. I've checked the settings and they seem okay. There is no sound for email alerts or sending mail and worse of all no sound from videos. I know I'm weird but I don't play music from the music icon so didn't realize this till today when I tried to look at a video with sound. I always raise the sound with the toggle at the side and keep it off when not needing it. Any ideas of what has happened?
Take a look at Settings - Sounds - Ringer and Alerts. Make sure that "Change with buttons" is enabled there. Also check Settings - Music - Volume Limit. Try toggling the side switch, perhaps it wasn't on the right position to enable sounds. You may also take a look at Settings - Do Not Disturb. There are settings that can mute your device.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lulubird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna. I just managed to figure it out and was coming here to say that. The update added that silly deal that appears at the bottom of the screen when you swipe up and I must have accidently hit the mute button there. Was trying all the buttons since they aren't labeled and discovered that one and clicked it. It was probably in the settings too but I must have missed it. I really hope they correct that feature when you sweep up so it is not so easy to activate it. lol

Thanks again for the suggestions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I really hope they correct that feature when you sweep up so it is not so easy to activate it. lol

Under Settings > Control Panel, you have the option of turning it off for the Lock Screen and In Apps. It will always work from the Home Screen. Turning off In Apps will solve your problem for apps that happen to need gestures near the bottom of the screen. You can do the same for the Notifications Panel, if it's also a problem.

The Control Panel only comes up if you swipe from the very edge, or beyond the edge of the screen. If you're getting it a lot when you don't' want it, and don't want to turn off the In App option, try getting into the habit of starting all your scroll gestures half an inch or more in from the bottom edge of the screen.

Most reactions