What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did jailbreaking add a graphic?

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On my jailbroken Ipad, to the immediate left of the battery percentage indicator, I see a graphic that I did not notice before. It is 2 triangles attached to a greater than sign. Did the jailbreak add this?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't picture it. Can you post a screenshot of this symbol? Then, maybe we can help you ID it (note that I don't have any such icon).

Marilyn

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bluetooth I bet Does it look like this

BLUETOOTH.png

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was about to link to a photobucket image that I uploaded, but your post has the image. I don't have any bluetooth devices. My pc is near the Ipad. Could it intermittently be announcing bluetooth? I doubt it. I find it odd that it comes and goes, but I never noticed it before and I use the Ipad a lot.

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found this kb article:

iOS 5: Understanding the Bluetooth icon

As my icon that comes and goes is Grey, this is critical:

HT4982_04-grey_bluetooth_icon-iPhone--en.png
(gray): Bluetooth is on but no device is connected. You are paired with a Bluetooth device, but it may be out of range or turned off.

I sincerely hope that there is some ios or jailbreak bug causing the icon to appear, as I have NEVER paired my Ipad with a bluetooth device. I doubt I was compromised, but am a little worried.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about being comprimised, especially given how tight the iPad is Locked down.

Bluetooth must be switched on with the JB because that happened to me to.

To turn off bluetooth go to settings, general, Bluetooth, then slide the toggle to off and thats it. Gone

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks, Randy. I was trying to visualize it sideways...

And, as was already mentioned, just go to Settings and turn off Bluetooth. It's not a "hack" of your iPad.

Or ... install SBSettings (free on Cydia) so that you have an easy-to-access Bluetooth toggle whenever you wish. No more making all those swipes and taps to get to it in the Settings app.

But, that's just me and my lazy self talking. :D

Marilyn

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok,

I turned Bluetooth off in the settings. It is clear that the Jailbreak turned it on, as I looked at non Jailbroken Ipads with 5.01, and the setting defaulted to off. There remains one unanswered question. According to the Apple Knowledgebase article, I was paired with a device, as the icon was Grey. The article states that if am not paired with a device, I should have no icon, even if bluetooth is on. Why the intermittent grey icon? To be clear, I never used bluetooth before and have no paired devices. Maybe the icon appearing when it should not is an IOS bug.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it. The Bluetooth icon will sometimes appear in your status bar if you have it turned on regardless of whether you are paired or not. Just keep it turned off and you will be fine :)

Most reactions