What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did I buy a stolen iPad?

Stormynights

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This iPad worked perfectly for about 3 months until I updated to 7.04. I had even been able to add apps in iTunes. After the update it asked for the original owners ID and password. The original owner doesn't want to give this to me. I don't blame them because I wouldn't want to give this information to a stranger. Now I am locked out and I guess I am screwed. If I did find out this is in fact a stolen device I would return it to the real owner. How can I find out what is really going on?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This iPad worked perfectly for about 3 months until I updated to 7.04. I had even been able to add apps in iTunes. After the update it asked for the original owners ID and password. The original owner doesn't want to give this to me. I don't blame them because I wouldn't want to give this information to a stranger. Now I am locked out and I guess I am screwed. If I did find out this is in fact a stolen device I would return it to the real owner. How can I find out what is really going on?
In this article you will find a way how the previous owner can remove your device from Find my iPad, without giving you any information: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661

They can do this on a computer and don't need access to your iPad.
Hope that helps.

OP
S

Stormynights

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. It just seems strange that it worked fine at first.

OP
S

Stormynights

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I contacted the man I bought this from and he is not the original owner. He bought this used from a store in April. He has a receipt.They don't have the information on the original owner. It seems to me that if this was indeed stolen it would have been disabled months ago. I guess I am screwed.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If Find my iPad cant't be disabled, the only option you have is to take your iPad to the next Apple Store. They should have the possibilities to help you.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It asked for the original owners ID and password and that owner does not want to give you that information. So you have been in contact with the original owner. But you have also been in contact with the person who sold you this iPad, who is not the original owner. But if it was stolen, you'd return it to the original owner. And you have been adding apps to this iPad using a user ID and password up until iOS 7 update was applied.

Do I have this correct?

OP
S

Stormynights

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The man I bought it from is not the original owner. I thought at first he was but I was wrong. He showed me a receipt from when he purchased it from a store. Yes I would return it to the owner if I found out it was stolen. It is the right thing to do and I would want to get it back if it was mine.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The man I bought it from is not the original owner. I thought at first he was but I was wrong. He showed me a receipt from when he purchased it from a store. Yes I would return it to the owner if I found out it was stolen. It is the right thing to do and I would want to get it back if it was mine.

So, why don't you ask him for your money back? He must have not been able to use it. He knows that and unloaded his mistake on you.

Most reactions

Latest posts