What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

did any one catch the story the end of free wifi in some coffee houses..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it seams some coffee house around the nation are become computer free zones where you can not use a computer or a kindle or a ipad between some hours in the place..

what gets me is the basic fact that i use my ipad as a basic device for some things that i do .like note takeing along with the review of the notes that i have take that day or adding to the notes when i have thought of something that need to be add to the report..

one of the facts is the places are saying that people are comeing into place and buying one cup of coffee and camping out.. to run them off not me for if i come into the place it a quick cup of hot tea and a sandwich to eat then it out the door ..

i have seen the socalled buy a cup of coffee and sit allday types in some of the places before.to me run them off do not run off the people who are willing to spend the money in your place dureing this lean times..

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If people are coming into this chain of nationwide coffeehouses and only ordering a cup of coffee and nothing else, then I would say the issue is with their marketing department, not with the customers!

LGgeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see a legal challenge coming. What's the difference between me coming in with my iPad to get coffee and reading a book and doing the same with a hardback.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i only really ran into this once and it was up in seattle area with there was a no computer time frame.. when i was told that i could not use my laptop i basic told them to refund the money on the food that i just bought and i be on my way ..

they said that they could not do that then i said leave me along then ..they went and told the owner of the place and i told the owner the same thing for i basically told that i had sent about $.12.oo on his high placed sandwich and chips and drink along with the fact if you do not want the people in here useing computers then you need to turn off the Wifi when your open ..plus i explained to him i was useing my own wireless broadband card set up to use the internet not his.. .. he went ok

plus also explain to him it 4.pm the place is dead and there is only one person beside me in here ..i think you would be happy for a customer to come and order food and a drink ..

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing that is even worse (to me anyway) happened waaay back when I attempted to use my iPod Touch in a nationwide chain of "upscale" bakery/sandwich shops that caters to the same demographic as that nationwide coffee chain. I don't normally go there, but had agreed to meet someone there.

One of my other hobbies is target shooting and there are, as you would have guessed, forums dedicated to that. So after checking my email and weather, I attempted to check into one of the firearms forums -- only to find it was blocked by their firewall! According to their WiFi service provider, this franchise is a "family friendly" establishment and therefore blocks access to certain types of content that they believe does not fit into that atmosphere. What was I going to do, shoot someone with my iPod?

Yeah, I know that there is no First Amendment for a private business, but I did let them know that I was no longer going to be supporting their establishment. I am sure they don't miss me!

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And I am sure when you told them about their firewall blocking, they stared at you like you were speaking in tongue. Did you get a non-expressive stare with a couple slow blinks?

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1991-C4 like you iam really heavy into the international 10 meter air rifle shooting sports program for i shoot prone and standing along with the 10 meter brenchrest program and mini palma air rifle outdoor program .. ..so i havebeen inside a few places where they had blocked the website i was trying to look at..

when asked about i was told that they did not allow firearm or any non family website to be access through them .. to this day i have not been back to the that line of sandwich maker

Most reactions

Latest posts