What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dictionary feature does not work

klondikegeoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New to iPad2, and have figured out most of the features.

However, the user guide states that to see a definition, just tap the word. I had tapped, double tapped, tapped and held, etc, but no definition pops up in any word I have tried. This is the same in email, reading a Kindle book, reading an iBook book.

What I I missing? Should I tap it with a hammr? :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
klondikegeoff said:
New to iPad2, and have figured out most of the features.

However, the user guide states that to see a definition, just tap the word. I had tapped, double tapped, tapped and held, etc, but no definition pops up in any word I have tried. This is the same in email, reading a Kindle book, reading an iBook book.

What I I missing? Should I tap it with a hammr? :)

View attachment 14110

View attachment 14111

View attachment 14112

View attachment 14113

Here are the steps. Use the arrow in the popup to get the define menu.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Klondike-I just tried myself to make sure it was working on my end and it was. Make sure that you press the word long enough until it highlights and the bubble pops up to give you an option to define or look up.

In iBooks the option is "define."
On my NOOK: it is "look up."

I haven't checked on kindle but will, but my guess is it will work as well.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you still need help, give us a shout and I'll edit the screenshots with some arrows. Note that define will not work in iBooks for PDFs.

OP
K

klondikegeoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you still need help, give us a shout and I'll edit the screenshots with some arrows. Note that define will not work in iBooks for PDFs.
<br>Thanks, Kevin. I could not quite understand what those screen shots were doing, even with a magnifying glass. I'm not sure they are relevant, as what I am talking about is just tapping a word in a book to have a popup with the definition. or a link to it. <br><br>Im my Kindle Fire, it works like a charm. Tap a word, a small definition pops up, and there is a link to more detailed information. Come to think of it, my four-year old Kindle 1st Generation lets you quickly get a definition. What's with Apple?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
klondikegeoff said:
<br>Thanks, Kevin. I could not quite understand what those screen shots were doing, even with a magnifying glass. I'm not sure they are relevant, as what I am talking about is just tapping a word in a book to have a popup with the definition. or a link to it. <br><br>Im my Kindle Fire, it works like a charm. Tap a word, a small definition pops up, and there is a link to more detailed information. Come to think of it, my four-year old Kindle 1st Generation lets you quickly get a definition. What's with Apple?

Just tap the pictures to see them full size. Sorry, I missed that bit.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there-I can get my definitions from my kindle books. I had to download the dictionary just now. See these 2 pics , it will show what I have.

image-3226418133.jpg

image-1982417361.jpg

OP
K

klondikegeoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK skinmonkey, thanks. This is what does not work fo me. How and where do download the dictionary???

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I highlighted a word, an option came up on the bottom of the page to download the dictionary. That is why I wanted to show you that first pic, I had to do that first before getting the def.

OP
K

klondikegeoff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK skinmonkey, thanks. This is what does not work fo me. How and where do download the dictionary???

Most reactions