What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dictation and Siri

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using Siri more frequently. It seems to work pretty well but how do you get it to do punctuation?

Bobbi

fafrost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bennettb said:
I have been using Siri more frequently. It seems to work pretty well but how do you get it to do punctuation?

Bobbi

I have just been saying the punctuation marks out loud. By the way, this reply was dictated.

Fred

SeanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just been saying the punctuation marks out loud. By the way, this reply was dictated.

Fred

What happens if the word "period" is used in a sentence? I don't have siri, my wife's iPad does, but it's not available to me at the moment. Thanks. :)

fafrost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SeanR said:
What happens if the word "period" is used in a sentence? I don't have siri, my wife's iPad does, but it's not available to me at the moment. Thanks. :)

I would just type it out. That's probably the only way.

Fred

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Test using Siri. I'm using that. To see if it works.

Addendum: I said the word, "period," to end the sentence and start a new one. This is how I dictate my clinical notes with our transcriber (not Siri)!

SeanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fafrost said:
I would just type it out. That's probably the only way.

Fred

OK, thanks. I thought there might be a problem with that kind of thing.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SeanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
You missed my post...I posted to show you that it does in fact work.

I guess I misunderstood your post. I see you got it to make the punctuation mark "period". What I was getting after was if you could use the word "period"in a sentence without it automatically making the punctuation mark. I apologize for not being clear or if I missed something in your post.

fafrost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A test sentence for a period of time. It is very possible that Siri uses context to determine whether to type the word period or the end of the sentence. Thanks all!

Fred

SeanR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fafrost said:
A test sentence for a period of time. It is very possible that Siri uses context to determine whether to type the word period or the end of the sentence. Thanks all!

Fred

Awesome! Thanks for testing it. I couldn't wait for my wife to get home to test it. :)

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
lisa22 said:
Mine is a "he" with kind of a James Bond accent. He calls me "my darling". ddc8b

Ha ha. That would be creepy if Siri sounded like James Bond and called ME "my darling".

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
fafrost said:
I am wondering if any physicians have used the dictation mode on their Ipad with any electronic health records successfully?

Has to be better than a Dr.s handwriting ;). I use the dictation all the time in notes

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I misunderstood your post. I see you got it to make the punctuation mark "period". What I was getting after was if you could use the word "period"in a sentence without it automatically making the punctuation mark. I apologize for not being clear or if I missed something in your post.

Got it.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
It's an absolute must to have medical documentation transcribed for legibility...otherwise our third party payers won't pay! :)

Seen it on TV shows and just thought it was for effect, not real. That's neat to know, thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts