Diabetic exercise programs

Discussion in 'Special Needs iPad Forum' started by Seadog, Apr 10, 2012.

1. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    SKP...I have been looking into this one for some time..but haven't yet. You can log your miles and if you want...post the miles to your Facebook page.

image-3604385928.jpg

Also, I have a Pedometer app on my iPod which is useful. It will convert the steps to distance which is really fun to see. There are a lot of free ones in the App store to choose from.

2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely. I'm been a T2 since I was 23...I'm 54 now...no symptoms and I test out as a non-diabetic person (these days). Diet and exercise are the key...and it is amazing what can be done by diet alone, too. I always point that out to people because sometimes it is hard to get both going at once....

#12 AQ_OC, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
  3. this man

this man
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    As it seems fairly new research (although I'm not sure what year the program was made) you'd probably want to check it with other sources to see if it's being supported or not. To be fair it does seem very interesting. I might talk to my doctor about it the next time I see him.

4. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes--i agree to always speak to your qualified healtcare professional who can address your specific medical needs. That way, it's a customized fit and not one that is a generic program. Often times that is what creates injury for patient that come and see me. That is, performing an exercise program that is too high level for them. As with any new topic...all regimes, outcomes--must go thru test and re-testing to ensure that the validity and reliability is present and reproducible.

5. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That is wonderful, wonderful news AQ-OC---this really goes to show the proof in the benefits of Exercise and how a person dealing with Diabetes Mellitus (DM) can truly manage and/reduce the condition's effects substantially. Good for you and keep it up!

My husband has achieved lowering his hemoglobin A1C down 1 point since taking a dietary class with his sister a few months ago. He is pleased with these results along with regular exercise of walking. (Saturdays he walks 7 miles while playing 18 holes of golf--something he loves to do!)

#15 skimonkey, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  6. this man

this man
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    There is also this video about the Low GI Diet by Rick Gallop and he talks about the link between obesity and Diabetes. He seems to say diet is more important than exercise but he does say exercise is still important.

#16 this man, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  7. SKP1001

SKP1001
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Carbs are a huge factor for those facing diabetic issues. Really, it is amazing to think about how many carbs there are in the foods we eat.

When I started counting my carbs while trying to lose weight, it was a real eye opener when I decided to look at carb counts. There are so many things which have tons of carbs - not good for the average human being!

8. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, Thisman--yes there are many risk factors and also family history that can increase a person's risk of developing DM early in childhood or as an adult. My rule of thumb is to keep the balance even between exercise and diet--not just for people with Diabetes Mellitus (DM), but also with co-morbidities such as heart disease, musculoskeletal, etc.

Sustainable healthy living is a motto that we try to promote within our health organization--which goes for everybody, not just those that have present conditions.

It is an eye-opener. It makes you think whether to eat the roll and the baked potatoes because of the carb content. Weight watchers has a great carb counter calculator and helps to keep track of the foods eaten. It is not an app, but a small calculator type device. I have heard many people use this for weight control and to help manage their dietary allowances per their DM needs.

#18 skimonkey, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  9. this man

this man
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm confused about what would be a good exercise app on the iPad on iPhone. Is there there a short list of them anywhere?

Would it be possible to get something approaching a tailored exercise regime in an app? I don't know if that would be possible though.

#19 this man, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  10. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi this man--

Let me work on that and see what I can come up here. As any exercise program...it's good that it is a tailored one for that person. Not knowing what a person's prior exercise level is, often times makes the apps either too difficult or too easy to do. There are tons of exercise apps out there...the key though is form and technique in doing it so you can avoid injury. The country you live in, Australia, is excellent in it's evidence based research and treatment approach. Have you tried speaking to a Qualified Health Care Professional (your MD, DPT) to help you get started?

I can put some apps up which I feel are appropriate based on my background judgement...but really one needs to follow the first steps and seek medical advice to ensure that activities are appropriate, etc.