What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

developing official apps with apple developer on jailbroken ios?

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I compose my "minimal" budget for becoming iOS developer. So there is my question would it be possible to use my jailbroken iPhone for development? Since the update of DMCA the jailbreak is legal but I am worried if the apple tools works without any quirks with jailborken iOS. I also wonder if I can stay with iOS revision on my device if I want to test my apps on it - does apple enforce you to get latest iOS to use latest Xcode and SDK?

Well I would greatly regret loosking all my cydia stuff on my regular iPhone so I would like to know beforehand whether I need to buy a new iPhone for the development.

Thanks,

Edit:
Sorry if it's a duplication of any older post out-there. I spent 3 days googling for all the answers and it was really hard to find.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I develop quite happily on all my jailbroken devices using X-Code. I am a fully paid up Apple Developer, but it is possible to develop Jailbreak tweaks without being one, since your JB device can run unsigned code. It's just slightly more convoluted and you will need that little bit more confidence in your own abilities to set up your development environment and testing approach...
Where you might struggle is developing "official" apps without any of the provisioning tools etc. You only get those by paying your $99 to Apple.

Last edited:
OP
L

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks :) I already added the $99 annual cost to my initial budget plan.

Most reactions