What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dent affecting volume (d'oh. Oh no)

SamVilde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey - I just dropped my iPad very gently and it dented very slightly. Unfortunately, the dent is right where the volume buttons are and the rotation switch is. Cosmetically, the dent is small and who cares. But I can't listen to anything now because the dent forces the volume to OFF, and the rotation button is hard to flip. This is an 8 month old ipad and I have no kind of insurance. Does anyone have any guesses about how this issue could be resolved? I know apple is under no obligation to do anything - I'm the stupid one who dropped it - but does anyone have any ideas about who could fix it or how much it would cost?

I live in New York, so if anyone has NYC specific iseas of who could fit it, that would be appreciated.

redial32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is exactly what happened to me about 5 minutes ago? What was your result? Could they fix it? I'm fine with the dent, but the volume symbol is stuck on the screen.

Digibitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this is late, but it may help others.Last night , my son's ipad fell from his bed and dented in the same place, even though it had a plastic back cover. Seems to be the weak spot of the ipad as the volume control slot is so close to the edge. There are many complaints in forums about the same problem. Anyway, the volume control was stuck down and the speaker icon was permanently displayed.
I fixed it as follows :
At first, I tried using a stanley knife to widen the gap between the glass screen and the alloy back cover , but soon abandoned that as it seemed the glass would chip or crack .
Next, I cut a strip of thin but very tough clear plastic from a battery packet and worked it from the undamaged gap between the glass and cover into the dented area. With the glass thus protected, I forced a jewelers screwdriver between the plastic and the cover and levered the dented area out. It worked!

Most reactions

Latest posts