What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demo Shows Glasses-Free 3D on iPad 2

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQQEcfkHoE&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]​

MacStories features a fantastic tech demo today that shows glasses-free 3D working on the iPad 2. The video was made by Jeremie Francone and Laurence Nigay from the Laboratory of Informatics of Grenoble at the EHCI Research Group, and shows how they achieve glasses-free 3D by using head-tracking technology courtesy of the iPad 2’s front-facing camera combined with basic 3D graphics. According to MacStories, the glasses-free 3D experience doesn’t even need the iPad 2’s accelerometer to work, being based solely on the camera and the movement of the user’s head as they look at the screen. This is shown in the video by how the on-screen graphics change depending on the position of the user, giving the illusion of 3D. As MacStories notes, Nintendo has used glasses-free 3D for its new 3DS handheld (albeit with some customers complaining of motion sickness after using the device), and there has also been speculation in the past that Apple might be thinking of building glasses-free 3D capabilities into the iPod touch.

Source: MacStories iPad 2 + Head Tracking: Glasses-free 3D

Last edited:

Bluray

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased a magazine via Zinio which has a page or two of 3D stuff, unbelievable viewing and reading. Soon we'll have a whole lot of stuff in 3D for our iPads.

Phillypharm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is just an adaptation of a wii hack from 2008. Cool still tho.

h ttp://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Now that really is something amazing! What needs to be explored now is how this can work to our advantage on iPad, games, apps, etc.

iPad never ceases to amaze me!

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the wii

i seen this befor on the wii. this guy did that and it looked so cool it will change game play to the next levle :) but for the wii no one have use that in any new game and i see that about all most a year ago ... that to sad :(

Most reactions