What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dementia Need: Photos only access

A4Apple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELP! Need ideas to simplify access to just one app.

Parent with dementia loves scrolling through photos on his iPad.
How do I turn his iPad into a photo only device, and remove/hide all other buttons and control panels?

I am not always there to put in a password then get him directed to photos.

Thank you!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS has an accessibility function called Guided Access in which access can be restricted to one app. In your case this would be the Photos app. To activate it, go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Guided Access and turn on the switch. Then follow the instructions on the page. You can activate it after you turn it on by triple clicking the home button while in the Photos app.

tammybertel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will want to put guided access on the iPad while in photos. Then they are unable to get out of app/photos. You will also need a smart case that turns off/on when you open/close the case; if not the iPad will not turn off in guided access.

Apple has directions I suggest you review especially in case of issues & your model. But, settings, general, accessibility, guided access - turn it on, then set a passcode.
Read the directions!! Go in app, triple click and notice functions, upper right to turn on first time in app & upper left to turn off, use passcode to turn off. You can set time limits too - but this is not what you will want, this is to stop viewing the content.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will want to put guided access on the iPad while in photos. Then they are unable to get out of app/photos. You will also need a smart case that turns off/on when you open/close the case; if not the iPad will not turn off in guided access.

Apple has directions I suggest you review especially in case of issues & your model. But, settings, general, accessibility, guided access - turn it on, then set a passcode.
Read the directions!! Go in app, triple click and notice functions, upper right to turn on first time in app & upper left to turn off, use passcode to turn off. You can set time limits too - but this is not what you will want, this is to stop viewing the content.

You can decide whether or not the iPad will turn off in Guided Access. See the first link in J. A.'s post.

tammybertel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We typically lock the iPad in an app. The guided access link J.A referees to is what I am speaking about. As for turning it off, I tried with my smart case & it turned off in guided access in photos on an iPad 3 and immediately turned back on when I opened the case in photos.

Most reactions

Latest posts