What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting Photos

barmar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just synced a My Pictures folder to my iPad and now I wish to delete a photo from this folder on the iPad. Can't find a way to do this and in fact, on the Albums page when i select Edit, the folder (Album) I synced is not highlighted with an 'X' hence can't be deleted either and similarly, when I select the 'Photos' tab the photos I synced are there but again individual photos from that folder can not be deleted. Need some help please---how do I delete a synced My Pictures folder and.or an individual photo in that folder from my iPad? I'm using the standard Photos App---I don't have iPhoto installed. Thanks, B

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rajk said:
Little cumbersome, is there any better way without using itune. Actually I had same issue and unable to find a easier way.

I'm afraid not. When you sync photos to your iPad from iTunes, they can't be deleted directly from the iPad. You have to go to the folder in your computer where the pictures are, delete them there, then re sync the iPad. The desired photos will now be gone from your iPad.

Last edited:
OP
B

barmar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Pocobear--worked like a charm and not too cumbersome. Next time I'II make sure I have pre-screend all the Photos before I sync to the iPad. Cheers, B

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Best method is to make a folder (and one level of sub-foldres to be albums) just for the iPad. Place copies there. That way any editing you do won't risk your originals.

Reaction score
... how do I delete a synced My Pictures folder and.or an individual photo in that folder from my iPad? I'm using the standard Photos App---I don't have iPhoto installed. Thanks, B

... is there any better way without using itune. Actually I had same issue and unable to find a easier way.
The syncing and resyncing method with iTunes works as described in previous posts. But only if both iPad and PC are simultaneously at hand and connected.

I've found a way to delete photos on my iPad 2 independently.

From my laptop I send my selection of photos as (multiple) attachments with an e-mail to my iPad. I avoid syncing photos by keeping my laptop's synced photo-folders empty.

Then after transmission to my iPad (NOT connected to my laptop) I save the attachments. The iPad places the photos in "Photos".

From then on I can watch the photos, use them as wallpaper, delete any selection (single or multiple) or do whatever I still have to discover.

Same thing for pdf-files (e-books and documents) and "iBooks".

I guess that only NON-synced files on the iPad can be deleted independently without iTunes.
(I don't know about JailBreak though)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct - photos added to the iPad via iTunes can only be removed via iTunes. If you have photos on the iPad that got there by any other means than iTunes - they can be deleted whenever/however you wish, right from the iPad.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts