What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting old e-mails from new ipad mini setup

newminiipadowner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe there is not a way to delete bulk old e-mails that were transferred from my aol old mail account that now show up in my ipad inbox without going through and selection each one. My old asus netbook at least had a way of deleting all!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

It is possible to remove all emails at once from the Inbox.

First, open your Inbox, tap "Edit" - "Mark All" - "Mark as read". That done. Select "Edit" again. Now check mark the first email. Tap and hold "Move" at the bottom. Unselect the check marked email, then lift your finger from "Move". You may need to wait a little, until you'll see all your emails, like this:
image.jpg

Then select Trash at the left.

Hope that helps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Stupid POP3 accounts. This is often the result of adding a POP3 account to a new device, or deleting and re-adding it to a device.. It, the server, has no way of knowing what emails left on the server are new, so it gives them all to you again.

Anyway, if your provider has a webmail site, try selecting and deleting old emails there. Even the trash, if you are certain you don't need anything that is in it.

And if they offer an IMAP or Exchange server, switch.

That's not to excuse Apple from the lack of a select all/delete option. It's rarely needed for the Inbox, but when it is needed it's usually a desperate need.

The Trash and Junk folder do have a select/delete all feature.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

It is possible to remove all emails at once from the Inbox.

First, open your Inbox, tap "Edit" - "Mark All" - "Mark as read". That done. Select "Edit" again. Now check mark the first email. Tap and hold "Move" at the bottom. Unselect the check marked email, then lift your finger from "Move". You may need to wait a little, until you'll see all your emails, like this:
View attachment 59319
Then select Trash at the left.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

It is kind of crazy, and obviously a bug rather than a feature. How the heck did you ever discover it?

Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Must be me....now I see 1122 in my inbox but when I click on it it says "no mail"....I give up. Shouldn't be this difficult. Thanks for your trying to help. If I can't figure it out tomorrow I will take it back for a refund on Monday.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you look at the Mail app, not opened, does it show a number, like this:
image.jpg

If it does, this is the number of unread emails. Mark them as read the way I described it in your thread.

If you don't see this, they are already marked as read, and all you have to do is to delete them, using the method I posted above.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible to mark them as read the way I described it?

If not: please post a screenshot of the Inbox in your thread, it will show us what we're dealing with. To post a screenshot on your iPad, press Home and Power button simultaneously and shortly. You'll hear a shutter sound, and the screenshot can be found in the photos app afterwards. To get the picture into your post, tap "Upload a file" next to "Post Reply". On the next popup, select "Choose file" and then "Choose Existing" and "Camera Roll". The picture will start loading. When it's finished, select "Full Image" or "Thumbnail".

Barnum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, let me work on this in the morning. Just tried to do what you said about sending a screenshot and had trouble doing it. Thanks...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. If it would be easier to follow my instructions with the help of pictures, just let me know.

hearle55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To twerppoet:

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I rarely use Apple's Mail app so if I ignore it for more than a couple of days (as I often do) I'm left with the tedious and oh so annoying task of deleting my emails one by one. It's a little convoluted but it gets the job done. Great detective work.

How to on YouTube:

Last edited:

rikclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried your method for emptying my inbox, but I have so many emails (1000+) that my iPad times out while I'm waiting for the emails to change before deleting. When I open the mail app again nothing has changed other than all the emails are now marked unread. Is there a way to change this?

Most reactions

Latest posts