What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting iPad Apps Downloaded to PC

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed my C: drive almost full and a big chunk of it is occupied by iPad apps that were copied down by iTunes to the PC. (Why?) When I tried to delete them, I got a message that if I did, iTunes would also delete them from my iPad. Clearly, I don't want that to happen. So, how do I delete them and still use the PC as an archive for iPad data?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are ways around this. One is that you can prevent automatic syncing of your iPad and iTunes when you connect; there are two boxes to check/uncheck. for the first, when the iPad is connected, go to the Apps tab and look for a box underneath the app list titled [something like] automatically install new apps. Make sure this box is UNchecked.

Then, in iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices and find the line "Prevent [iDevices] from syncing automatically" and make sure there IS a checkmark in it.

Now, every time you connect the iPad, you will be in control of syncing. To keep the iPad and iTunes in sync, I use the "transfer purchases" line to move all the apps over to iTunes and keep it updated. I do this "transfer purchases" every time I connect the iPad, just to make sure iTunes knows and has what I have on my iDevices.

With all that set up, if you want to delete all the apps from iTunes, then you can - and your iPad will not "lose" all your loaded apps. Just remember two things: (1) If what you have on your iPad is not in iTunes (and synced over), a good backup of your app data will not be made. iTunes, as an app management tool, will not have a clue what is on that iPad. (2) If you ever sync the iPad to iTunes, iTunes will remove all apps from your iPad that are not in iTunes - just as what is happening to you now. Again, iTunes is designed to be an iPad backup and management tool. It is designed to mirror your iPad.

Long story short (or ended): If you have an app on the iPad, please do keep it in iTunes on your computer. It will save you hassle and heartache down the road.

Marilyn

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,
I was afraid I would get that answer. Unfortunately, I am having a similar problem with cloud backup. It has been giving warnings lately of refusing to backup to cloud storage because it doesn't have enough space. Now I understand why: I guess it is backing up every iPad app, code and all, whether it needs it or not. I had looked in the iPad's Settings and when I attempted to turn automatic cloud backup off, it threatened to delete all my apps from the iPad. Am I now trapped by this Catch22 or is there a way to prevent this (second) unwanted app deletion?

Nota bene, I have a lot of iPad apps and only a tiny fraction have any where near an amount of data worth preserving thru a disaster. Easier and simpler to reload from the iPad app store. The negative consequences of automatic backup seem to outweigh the advantages...

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, here is a simpler question: How would I move all these iPad apps (actually the whole iTunes Media Folder) to my D: drive? This would clear out a ton of space on the C: drive. Can I create another iTunes Library on the D: drive?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it would be much easier to put your iTunes account on your D:/ drive. It's not a hard process, though you do want to make sure it's done correctly. Take a look at this article: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

I used the advice/steps listed in it to transfer my iTunes to a new PC; I'm sure it will help you move your iTunes to a new drive. And, once iTunes is properly pointed at that drive, you'll get all that space back on your main drive.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going.

Marilyn

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn,
I will give it a shot and report back.

However, I will still want to disable iCloud because it is going to pester me forever about not enough space. I will, of course, want to do this without it removing all my iPad apps.
JC

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you can just disable iCloud backup and everything will be fine. It's when you try to delete iCloud that you run into issues. I say "think" because I don't use iCloud, so I really don't know of what I speak. :)

Hopefully, someone will be along to address that particular concern. Sorry, but I can't...

Marilyn

OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn,
Thank you for the link to "Transferring your iTunes Library." It worked perfectly, though a bit tedious. The total space saved by moving iPad apps, books, iTunes, etc. to the D: drive was 15GB. Pretty significant.

Now the last question was how to muzzle iCloud. On closer examination, it appears that iCloud had backed up my old iPad2, which I no longer own but that backup file is still in my iCloud account. If I delete this, it should stop iCloud's complaints about not enough space.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome news on the transfer - glad it all worked! And, thanks for the update as it's good to hear back.

Good luck on that iCloud thingy... :)

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There should be no problems deleting iCloud backups. It will not affect the contents of the iPad in any way.

When turning off iCloud or specific iCloud services (like Calendar or Contacts) you should be presented with an option to keep or delete the data from the iPad. Choose to keep it, and the data will stay on the iPad. If you accidentally delete it, the information should still be in iCloud. If you sign back in, or turning the service back on, the data will sync back to the iPad from iCloud.

To be certain data like Calendar, Contacts, etch are in iCloud, you can go to icloud.com on a computer and sign in with your iCloud or Apple ID.

Here are some links that should be helpful in understanding what iCloud is and how it works.

===================

iCloud Overview
http://www.apple.com/icloud/

iCloud Support Site
http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/

Apple IDs and iCloud
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4895

Troubleshooting iCloud Bookmarks
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4001

iCloud: Backup and restore overview
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859

How to setup iCloud
http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

iTunes Match: How it works
http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

Photo Stream FAQ
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

iCloud security and privacy overview
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4865

Last edited:
OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet,
Thanks for those helpful links to info on iCloud.

The annoyance I had reported (incorrectly) above when banging around with iCloud actually occurred when I tried to turn off "My Photo Stream" in the Settings app. It warned me that if I were to turn it off, it would "delete all photo stream photos on my iPad". Sounded like a dire threat to me. I wasn't about to test it. My pictures are important. However, I own only one device and hardly need this service. So, please explain the threat. If it is benign, then it truly needs to have the warning reworded ASAP.

Re iCloud backup, I did delete the old backup of my no longer owned iPad2 and iCloud began to work properly again, backing up some 50-odd apps in only 200MB - far less (1.3%) than the 15GB that iTunes used to backup the same apps on my PC. Looks as if iTunes PC backups are extremely inefficient, probably making physical copies of all the app code, rather than just the user-specific data. IMHO, Apple should fix this ASAP, using iCloud's algorithm.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One should upgrade the hard drive in the pc as in this day and age 15gb is nothing compared to pc programs and back ups

Colin
iPad forums Administrator

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerppoet,
Thanks for those helpful links to info on iCloud.

The annoyance I had reported (incorrectly) above when banging around with iCloud actually occurred when I tried to turn off "My Photo Stream" in the Settings app. It warned me that if I were to turn it off, it would "delete all photo stream photos on my iPad". Sounded like a dire threat to me. I wasn't about to test it. My pictures are important. However, I own only one device and hardly need this service. So, please explain the threat. If it is benign, then it truly needs to have the warning reworded ASAP.

Photo stream is only for sharing photos taken on your iOS devices with other iOS devices and/or computers. Check to see if the photos you are worried about are in the Camera Roll or another album. If so, turning off Photo Stream won't lose anything. If pictures you want are only in the Photo Stream, then open them and use the share icon (box with an arrow coming out of it) to copy them to the Camera Roll.

That said, it's not a good idea to trust your pictures to one place and/or device, especially a mobile device. I highly recommend you back up important pictures elsewhere, your computer or an online service. There are numerous options; Flicker, DropBox, PhotoBucket, etc.

Re iCloud backup, I did delete the old backup of my no longer owned iPad2 and iCloud began to work properly again, backing up some 50-odd apps in only 200MB - far less (1.3%) than the 15GB that iTunes used to backup the same apps on my PC. Looks as if iTunes PC backups are extremely inefficient, probably making physical copies of all the app code, rather than just the user-specific data. IMHO, Apple should fix this ASAP, using iCloud's algorithm.

I'm not sure what all is different between iCloud and iTunes backups, but yes they seem less efficient space wise. On the other hand a computer usually has so much more storage that other considerations, like redundancy and transfer speed, probably have a higher priority than file size.

Last edited:
OP
jchunter

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photo stream is only for sharing photos taken on your iOS devices with other iOS devices and/or computers. Check to see if the photos you are worried about are in the Camera Roll or another album. If so, turning off Photo Stream won't lose anything. If pictures you want are only in the Photo Stream, then open them and use the share icon (box with an arrow coming out of it) to copy them to the Camera Roll.
AFAIK all my pictures are on the Camera Roll, which is backed up.

The issue is whether or not iCloud is going to follow up on its stated threat to delete my photos if I turn off Photo Stream. The only way the threat could be benign is if iCloud would actually delete references (pointers) to the actual photo files. That would be OK and would not affect the photo files themselves. However, in the interest of good communication with iPad users, the Threat Warning should be reworded to assure users that they would not lose their photos.

Most reactions

Latest posts