What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting emails

telivo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only been on iPad couple of days and need to clear out some old read emails and empty recycle bin,I can't seem to find how to do this

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have only been on iPad couple of days and need to clear out some old read emails and empty recycle bin,I can't seem to find how to do this

Hi Telivo - welcome to the forum! :) You need to provide some more information: 1) What iPad are you using (assume iPad 2 since you posted in that forum); 2) What iOS is installed; 3) Are you using the Mail App or a web-based client (such as Yahoo in a Safari tab); and 4) What specific issues do you not understand. Finally, iOS does not have a generic 'recycle bin', so are you referring to a 'trash location' in the mail app or service you are using. Dave

OP
T

telivo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,I have iPad 2 I don't know what iOS is used I just use mail, button on bottom of screen I think I may have managed to delete some into trash there was loads in junk do they all have to be deleted too is there any way they can all be done at one go,took ages to do 3/4 at a time

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,I have iPad 2 I don't know what iOS is used I just use mail, button on bottom of screen I think I may have managed to delete some into trash there was loads in junk do they all have to be deleted too is there any way they can all be done at one go,took ages to do 3/4 at a time
Go to Settings>General>About and scroll down to version. It will show which iOS version is currently on your iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello again - SciFan.. has already provided information about obtaining the iOS version on your device (for visual reinforcement, see the first image below); also, I would suggest downloading an iOS manual from HERE that corresponds to your current iOS or one if you decide to upgrade (you can only go so far w/ that old device and will not have all of the newest features).

As to your mail issue concerning deletion, the iOS being used is obviously important because app features often change w/ version upgrades. Let me show what I would do on my iPad Air 2 on iOS 10.2 - in the second image below, my Mail App is opened and 'Mailboxes' are shown in the left column - I have 2 accounts being tracked w/ Yahoo being the main one (the 'Trash' folder is circled) - pressing 'Trash' will open the folder (3rd pic); if 'Edit' is then pressed (see connected arrows), options are given at the bottom (blue circle) for marking and deletion - see if you obtain similar appearances depending on your iOS version?

Also, depending on your ISP and mail client, if a web-based service is available (such as in Yahoo), then you can always go there where features often make many maneuvers easier than using the iOS Mail App. Let us know if any of these suggestions help. Dave :)
Image1.PNG
Image2.PNG
Image3.PNG
Image4.PNG

OP
T

telivo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much I had version 9.3.5 and I have been able to delete the ones I wanted rid of. So you reckon I would be better using maybe yahoo or google

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you so much I had version 9.3.5 and I have been able to delete the ones I wanted rid of. So you reckon I would be better using maybe yahoo or google

Hi again Telivo - you need to tell us your setup of the Mail App on the iPad - I'm assuming that you entered the information needed into Settings -> Mail -> Add Account - see the pic below for the options - are you using one or more displayed there or do you have another ISP w/ a mail client? Dave :)
IMG_7761.PNG

Most reactions