What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting emails - empty mail folder

rikclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd've tried the methodology described in this forum , but when I hold move and unmark the first email, the iPad times out and screen goes black before the emails all change as suggested. When I open the email app all the emails have been marked read but they are still there. Is there a way to adjust the time before the iPad times out. I haven't been able to find anything in settings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What kind of email account do you have. If it's a POP3, IMAP, or Exchange account, then it's generally easier to visit the webmail site and bulk delete emails there. The changes should sync back to the iPad. Example of IMAP are Google, Yahoo, and iCloud. Hotmail is Exchange.

Unfortunately a lot of ISP's default to POP3 accounts. Some also offer IMAP. Check whit your provider and see if you have that option. If you do, change it, delete and re-add your account as IMAP, then proceed with the website solution.

If you are stuck with POP3 I can offer a semi-drastic, one-time solution for clearing up the account. Lots of typing and explaining involved, so I save it unless it's needed.

A long term solution would be to change your account to a more modern service, one designed for the mobile multi-device world we live in. It's also a good idea for your email account to not be tied to your ISP provider. This allows you to move or change providers without losing your email address.

OP
R

rikclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of email account do you have. If it's a POP3, IMAP, or Exchange account, then it's generally easier to visit the webmail site and bulk delete emails there. The changes should sync back to the iPad. Example of IMAP are Google, Yahoo, and iCloud. Hotmail is Exchange.

Unfortunately a lot of ISP's default to POP3 accounts. Some also offer IMAP. Check whit your provider and see if you have that option. If you do, change it, delete and re-add your account as IMAP, then proceed with the website solution.

If you are stuck with POP3 I can offer a semi-drastic, one-time solution for clearing up the account. Lots of typing and explaining involved, so I save it unless it's needed.

A long term solution would be to change your account to a more modern service, one designed for the mobile multi-device world we live in. It's also a good idea for your email account to not be tied to your ISP provider. This allows you to move or change providers without losing your email address.

OP
R

rikclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm stuck with POP3. One is account from my ISP (Hughes net), and the other from the franchiser of my business. Good advice about email account with ISP. Thank you.
I don't want to ask you to type out lengthy instructions. Is there a link to which you can direct me?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, I already typed most of them, but didn't post them because I was hoping they were not needed. Since you kindly don't wan't me typing even more :) I'll just paste them here. There might be a bit of redundancy with my earlier post.

------------------------

If you are stuck with POP3 mail, then my only suggestion is a bit more drastic.

POP3 only allows you two download modes. One downloads your email, but keeps it on the server. The second downloads your email, then deletes it from the server.

If you've been doing the first, then all it takes for all you email to come back as unread is for the iPad to forget what emails it's already seen. If the second, then once the email is downloaded it's gone from anywhere but the iPad. The iPad defaults to the first method. You have to dig around in the accounts advanced settings to change it.

So, my drastic one-time solutions is to delete your account from the iPad, then add it again. If it clears things up, then the emails were not on the server and you can go on from there. If the emails come back, then you need to do it again, but this time when you set up the account make sure you choose the 'delete after download' option. Once all the emails show up again, you'll have to delete the account and add it yet another time.

If you have another method of accessing the account, say a computer of a website, then you can try the deleting there first, instead of adding and deleting the iPad's account multiple times.

Make sure you've done whatever you need to do with any new emails before you try this. There won't be any getting them back.

OP
R

rikclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much. Not sure why I didn't think of this soltion. I retreive my email primarily from my offie computer, which is set to delete from the server after download. ipad is just back up for mobile access. I let the account "get away from me" by not deleting emails daily as I usually do.
Thanks again for your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts